Crackle coming through speakers

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
Ok, here is what I got. My PS3 is connected to my TV via HDMI and to my PC via Optical. My problem is when I high tone is emitted the speakers crackle. I especially notice when playing a game I downloaded called Everyday Shooter. I have an XFI Platinum card in my PC and the Optical coming from the PS3 is connected to the front I/O panel. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this noise.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
1. what speakers do you have?
2. what is your definition of "high tone" (loud general tone, or high-pitched tone?)

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Tiamat
1. what speakers do you have?
2. what is your definition of "high tone" (loud general tone, or high-pitched tone?)

They are computer speakers Creative T7700 7.1 system. A loud general tone like a guitar string being strummed harder to produce a louder sound.
The speakers arnt damaged because I dont have the problem when playing sound directly from my computer.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
you mentioned you downloaded the game. Its possible the game has crap sound quality, but I would hate if that were the case.

Have you tried running analog out from PS3 directly into your speakers (or running toslink directly to your speakers).

Is it possible that your X-Fi is inserting noise into the signal due to a Line-In/Mic-In/Aux-in that you are not using not being set to "mute"?

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
you mentioned you downloaded the game. Its possible the game has crap sound quality, but I would hate if that were the case.

Have you tried running analog out from PS3 directly into your speakers (or running toslink directly to your speakers).

Is it possible that your X-Fi is inserting noise into the signal due to a Line-In/Mic-In/Aux-in that you are not using not being set to "mute"?

There is no way to run toslink directly to the speakers, but I do have an adapter somewhere that would allow me to connect via rca, but then I wouldnt be able to use hdmi. I did mute the Mic-in and the other Line-in. I even tried muting the Wave volume as well but got the same result maybe it is just the game. I'm going to try to get it to crackle from another source, bluray/ps3 game and post back.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: jhh979s

There is no way to run toslink directly to the speakers, but I do have an adapter somewhere that would allow me to connect via rca, but then I wouldnt be able to use hdmi. I did mute the Mic-in and the other Line-in. I even tried muting the Wave volume as well but got the same result maybe it is just the game. I'm going to try to get it to crackle from another source, bluray/ps3 game and post back.

Play a DVD such as Star wars in your PS3 and use the THX test to verify that each channel gets independent sound.

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
Just happened to have Attack of the Clones on dvd, speakers all checked out fine but my brightness was set a little too low according to Mr. Lucas. I tried a few different sources, two PS3 games, and a movie and I couldnt reproduce the noise so I guess it is just crappy audio from the game I was playing. So disaster averted I hope. Thank you all for your input.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Could be bad audio programming in the game causing the ps3 to produce audio with an out of spec bitrate.
If you have ever heard an optical connection with the wrong bits you know what I mean .

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
im glad that normal source material doesnt give you a problem. It sucks that the game's audio is screwed up, i wonder if it would be worthwhile to write the author's/publishers?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Just happened to have Attack of the Clones on dvd, speakers all checked out fine but my brightness was set a little too low according to Mr. Lucas. I tried a few different sources, two PS3 games, and a movie and I couldnt reproduce the noise so I guess it is just crappy audio from the game I was playing. So disaster averted I hope. Thank you all for your input.

Try reducing in game volume and see if the in game audio is clipping.

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

Try reducing in game volume and see if the in game audio is clipping.

I thought it might be clipping at first as well, but I tried turning down all sorts of volumes. The input volume, the EQ volume and the master volume and it still happened even at low listening levels. It doesnt make the noise over hdmi through the TV speakers. So I guess it has something to do with the game and the optical cable, perhaps it is an out of spec bitrate.

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
I have run into another issue. When playing Bluray movies I get gaps in the audio at random intervals when sending it through the optical for my PC to decode. It happens maybe 3 to 4 times during the entire length of a movie. Would purchasing a higher quality optical cable alleviate any of these issues? It's a 12ft Phillips I got at wal-mart for $20.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
I have run into another issue. When playing Bluray movies I get gaps in the audio at random intervals when sending it through the optical for my PC to decode. It happens maybe 3 to 4 times during the entire length of a movie. Would purchasing a higher quality optical cable alleviate any of these issues? It's a 12ft Phillips I got at wal-mart for $20.

doubtful, its possible that your computer is hiccuping every once in a while causing a stutter in the audio.

AndyD92

Sep 3, 2010

THANKYOU SO MUCH! Sorted my crackle out. :p