cracked left wrist, how can i workout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
crack in my left hands wrist, have splint on, cant type w/ 2 hands.

wat r some decent exercises i can do?

i *might* be able to squat but i cant hold the bar w/ left hand.

Mar 22, 2002
don't.
let it heal or risk more injury and longer recovery time.

With just an injured wrist? No way. Have you ever seen Ronnie Coleman do front squats? No hands needed. You could also continue to work the uninjured arm since it would develop/maintain neuromuscular connections in BOTH arms. Also, you can run and do all sorts of no-hand or one-hand tabatas.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Sucks about the wrist, but if you're careful, you can still exercise. Obviously, any bodyweight exercises that don't require the arms are fair game, such as running, sprinting, air squats, pistols, squat jumps, box jumps, lunges, step-ups, and sit-ups. Only real worry is if you slip and start to fall, you need to make sure to only catch your self on the good arm. :)

Weighted exercises are a bit trickier, but not impossible: depending on what kind of mobility you have with your cast, you can do front squats without actually having to grip the bar. That is, the bar can just sit on your deltoids (see the bottom two images here) and your hands are only there to slightly proper it up. There was even a video of some Crossfit guy doing back squats with one arm in a sling, though that seems a bit dangerous to me. Besides squats, you can do on armed exercises that are primarily powered via hip/leg drive, such as KB swings, KB snatches and KB cleans. I'd be hesitant of doing too many one armed exercises that use a lot of arm strength (such as one armed pull-ups, push-ups, presses, etc) as your injured arm will already end up weaker due to the injury and training the healthy arm will only make the imbalance greater.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
runnning aches the wrist due moving arms but i can cycle i think/

i can olympic front squat with just fingers touching the bar might do that

is it true that wokring one arm will also stimulate the other to grow?

Mar 22, 2002
runnning aches the wrist due moving arms but i can cycle i think/

i can olympic front squat with just fingers touching the bar might do that

is it true that wokring one arm will also stimulate the other to grow?

Working one arm will not stimulate hypertrophy, no. Hypertrophy is a direct response to load. However, neuromuscular adaptations, which are dominantly responsible for strength-gains 4-6 weeks into any training, can occur in both arms when only one arm moves a load. There is a bunch of research showing that if you work one body part while another is inactive, you will maintain more strength in the inactive limb. I'm not sure if it's been shown that the inactive limb maintains more mass, but I'm 100% sure it will maintain more strength.

Also - huh? You can olympic front squat with a broken wrist? I was referring to the front squat where you put your arms straight out (or cross them).

Last edited:

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
crack in my left hands wrist, have splint on, cant type w/ 2 hands.

wat r some decent exercises i can do?

i *might* be able to squat but i cant hold the bar w/ left hand.

put on a ski jacket (enough so you will sweat buckets) and go walk up some hills. try and get at least 1000 feet vertical, like a mid-size ski run.

what part of the country do you live in ?

Mar 22, 2002
put on a ski jacket (enough so you will sweat buckets) and go walk up some hills. try and get at least 1000 feet vertical, like a mid-size ski run.

what part of the country do you live in ?

I understand walking uphill or up stairs, but what's the point of the ski jacket? That actually decreases cardiac output and overall performance, leading to cardiovascular drift.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Working one arm will not stimulate hypertrophy, no. Hypertrophy is a direct response to load. However, neuromuscular adaptations, which are dominantly responsible for strength-gains 4-6 weeks into any training, can occur in both arms when only one arm moves a load. There is a bunch of research showing that if you work one body part while another is inactive, you will maintain more strength in the inactive limb. I'm not sure if it's been shown that the inactive limb maintains more mass, but I'm 100% sure it will maintain more strength.

Also - huh? You can olympic front squat with a broken wrist? I was referring to the front squat where you put your arms straight out (or cross them).

i can put thumbs on bar , hopefully

Mar 22, 2002
i can put thumbs on bar , hopefully

No, that's way too risky. Just do no hand front squats. You balance it on your shoulders. It's fine. You have very little risk of injuring yourself like that. However, if you use just your thumbs... You may risk some pretty serious damage. Plus the olympic front squat form doesn't work like that. Just slip your thumbs out and keep your elbows up like you would normally - nix the hands though.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Update:

So it's been almost almost 2 months now since the injury. Hand feels like normal (no pain) UNTIL I pickup a weight. I've stopped using the splint a few days ago.

This is driving me insane. I haven't worked out in ages. Going to see the doctor again monday or tuesday. Hopefully he can give me an estimate to when I'll be healed up.

:mad:

Mar 22, 2002
Update:

So it's been almost almost 2 months now since the injury. Hand feels like normal (no pain) UNTIL I pickup a weight. I've stopped using the splint a few days ago.

This is driving me insane. I haven't worked out in ages. Going to see the doctor again monday or tuesday. Hopefully he can give me an estimate to when I'll be healed up.

:mad:

If you've gotta start with 2 pound weights at first, that's just how it'll have to be. You gotta start somewhere. Refer to your doctor before doing anything. By the way, did he say which carpal(s) you fractured?

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
If you've gotta start with 2 pound weights at first, that's just how it'll have to be. You gotta start somewhere. Refer to your doctor before doing anything. By the way, did he say which carpal(s) you fractured?

No, but I can ask. I don't think he mentioned anything about carpels. All I saw was an X-ray with a visible crack.

Mar 22, 2002
No, but I can ask. I don't think he mentioned anything about carpels. All I saw was an X-ray with a visible crack.

Well, what's typically called the wrist contains the carpals. The palm contains the metacarpals. The fingers are called the phalanges. Scaphoid (most lateral proximal carpal) fractures are actually pretty bad. They can affect blood supply to the hand and overall ability to move the hand at the wrist. That's why I was asking specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.