Crackdown 3 looks to be a big disappointment.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Digital Foundry had stuttering issues on PC

And the IGN review confirmed my worse expectations.

Looks like a more sterile environment than the original, and rinse and repeat gameplay. I was hoping co-op would be compelling, but looks like a bust. They need to address the performance issues on PC too. John's rig is a beast, so that is not a good sign for those of us with less. I should think a patch and/or drivers will resolve this shortly. But I am not certain many of us will care.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I feel at this point that they never got it right and without a complete restart, it’s being released to recoup some of the expense. MS has also sold the heck out of their subscription service and needs to justify the price which is hard if games keep getting delayed. Shame that this was just a waste of an IP.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I bought it and played 6 hours so far.

I loved Crackdown 1 and 2.

Crackdown 3 is one of the best running PC games Microsoft has released so far. There are basically zero bugs and it will not crash.

So far this game feels like Crackdown. On Legendary difficulty, the game is really challenging at times. I am having a lot of fun so far. I really like the jumping puzzles, although they are a bit too easy. Just like before, Psychotic/Legendary difficulty makes the player able to be 1 shot killed with certain weapons.

Dying is of little consequence like before, but now that I'm on a real PC, loading times are short.

I am CPU limited at around 100fps, and GPU limited at 4k around 70fps. I lowered Ambient Occlusion, turned off TAA (gross), and turned down Screen Space reflections.

I have a couple complaints though. Crackdown 1 and 2 were on Xbox 360. Autoaim was pretty important at 30fps on a controller.

On a mouse beyond 60hz, aiming is a breeze, but autoaim cannot be disabled. I am back on a controller. Why bother being on a mouse if I can't actually aim?

Some weapons need some balancing, as some are clearly far too powerful and some far too weak. Crackdown 1 and 2 both had this issue. It led to the player not using some weaponry as others were just far too good.

They did nerf most of the weapons though. On C1 and C2, you could lock onto a targets head with any weapon (not explosive) at any range. Now, some rifles cannot headshot (they are already OP), OR you must get really close to lock onto the head.

I like this change. What I don't like about it is some enemies, mainly robots, have far too much health. On the flipside, some enemies are unusually easy to defeat...

I did hear the game is repetitive prior to purchase and it is sort of correct. They give you a lot of the same objectives to do, but each area is very unique, the enemies are unique, and while the objective may be the same (like clearing a station), the level design feels fresh.

The game has a pretty good sense of humor and does not take itself seriously. There is a storyline this time where C1 and C2 was even more barebones.

Overall, anyone who liked Crackdown on xbox 360 will enjoy this game. They played it really safe with Crackdown 3. Nothing really new, but that is what I wanted. Just a port of Crackdown 1 to PC.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks for the review. And it seems you had no stuttering issues? Perhaps the RTX is buggy where the GTX is not? And do not tell me it is like the first, because then I will have to buy it. Sounds like I will be playing with a controller too.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the review. And it seems you had no stuttering issues? Perhaps the RTX is buggy where the GTX is not? And do not tell me it is like the first, because then I will have to buy it. Sounds like I will be playing with a controller too.

I got these strange fps dips that feel like stuttering at the start. The cause was every time I moved the mouse, fps dipped. It turns out, the mouse cursor wasn't supposed to be on screen. I alt tabbed and the mouse cursor appeared. Alt tabbing fixed that. I cannot replicate the issue.

That was not the stuttering in the DF video. I did not get any stuttering once I got rid of the mouse cursor. I vastly prefer the game on a controller, since I played the last 2 on one.

His stuttering/hitching almost reminded me of trying to play and record a very high bitrate video on the same drive, but that shouldn't be happening on an SSD unless its a slow one. He did try the game on an HDD first.

I cannot get that problem to occur. I definitely need to upgrade my CPU for 144hz though.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Hopefully I can get some time to play it tonight. Have the Xbox Gamepass so I will load it on a couple of my PC's along with the XB1. Hopefully that will help answer if the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti both have stuttering or if it's just for the RTX card.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hopefully I can get some time to play it tonight. Have the Xbox Gamepass so I will load it on a couple of my PC's along with the XB1. Hopefully that will help answer if the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti both have stuttering or if it's just for the RTX card.

Hm, I didn't even realize that I could use Game Pass on PC like that. Maybe I'll have to try it out to see how it plays!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Hm, I didn't even realize that I could use Game Pass on PC like that. Maybe I'll have to try it out to see how it plays!

Yep. Got it originally to play Forza Horizon 4 and have enjoyed a bunch of their first party games on the pc. There are some third party games as well so it's worth checking out.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yep. Got it originally to play Forza Horizon 4 and have enjoyed a bunch of their first party games on the pc. There are some third party games as well so it's worth checking out.

Did they ever fixed how locked down games (and actually anything else) are when downloaded using the Windows Store? I recall that they promised things like SLI support way back when they first came out, but I haven't really followed it much since then.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Did they ever fixed how locked down games (and actually anything else) are when downloaded using the Windows Store? I recall that they promised things like SLI support way back when they first came out, but I haven't really followed it much since then.

Unfortunately, they did nothing to improve that piece of it. The only thing that has gotten better is that games actually install and launch without a hitch. I remember how it took jumping through a ton of hoops to get Quantum Break to originally download and install.

As far as RTX stutter issues, they appear to be fixed. Played for an hour or so at 4k ultra everything without issue. The only thing that really came up was a few random audio glitches that lasted a few seconds. Overall, the game feels very sparse and underwhelming from an environment perspective. A lot of objects don't have shadows which makes it look last gen. Shame this game swirled so much.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not really a fan of this series, though I did try 1 & 2 on Xbox quite some time ago. Just didn't pull me in and imo there are similar games that are just much better.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The biggest upside so far is that the game launches quick and is easy to get into. Compared to a lot of other current releases, you can fire it up and load the world in under a minute. The load screens are brief. I've been going between it and Anthem on the PC so maybe I'm a little jaded :)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Still no SLI/CF support. Doubt there will be as that technology seems to be going away anyway.

BUT, they did loosen up a lot of the requirements. Originally they wouldn't even allow you to reconfigure your keyboard, and graphics settings were very strict. But this has loosened way up, and the games feel less like console game on a PC.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Glad to read some of you are enjoying it. I will wait until it is under $30.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I played a bit on my xbox (using gamepass), never played 1 or 2 so cannot say how it compares. It is OK, nothing special. No way in H it is worth $60 though. I cannot imagine why they priced it like that. $30 would be ok, but it seems more like a $20 game honestly.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
After watching the following comparison video, I would not play this game if it were free.

I thought the farcry comparison was bad, but this game is a joke.