crabgrass and bermuda grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Is there a difference. I think I have crab grass and I like it. Less maintenance. I am trying to make it spread in the yard. I used to have crab grass then I switched to fescue but that didn't work. I noticed a small patch of crab grass in the yard last winter then started watering it now its covering half of the yard. I wanted it to grow much quicker so I went to home depot and bought bermuda grass thinking it is the same as crab grass now I am wondering.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
They aren't the same. Where are you at OP? Crab grass is a nuisance and if you're in a cold-weather climate, you didn't see crab grass in the winter.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Definitely not the same, but unless you WANT a bermuda grass lawn, it's just as big of a PITA. HIGHLY invasive stuff.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Definitely not the same, but unless you WANT a bermuda grass lawn, it's just as big of a PITA. HIGHLY invasive stuff.

I am confused by this statement as far as the difference. I thought crab grass is invasive. I don't mind it as the maintenance is low. I used to have it for my lawn.

socal

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I am confused by this statement as far as the difference. I thought crab grass is invasive. I don't mind it as the maintenance is low. I used to have it for my lawn.

socal

Both ARE highly invasive...some people actually plant bermuda grass lawns though...not so much with crab grass.

If you have a fescue lawn, you DO NOT want bermuda grass invading it...

bermuda-wars-4.jpg

The stuff grows runners...and will quickly take over a fescue lawn if you don't control it.

Crab grass can also take over a lawn if not controlled...

smooth_crabgrass_IMG_6654.11865131_std.jpg

Depending on where you live, bermuda grass can make a nice, lush green lawn during the summer months...but it's a warm-season grass, so if it gets cold where you live, it dies back to a not-so-attractive brown during the winter months...while fescue stays green.

We don't get snow here, but it gets into the low-30's and even upper 20's in the winter. Bermuda always turns brown here, but fescue lawns stay green. (but fortunately, they don't grow much...and it's not common for me to have to mow my lawn between late November and early March.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
There's nothing wrong with crabgrass. It just has a bad name, that's all. Everyone would love it if it had a cute name, like, uh, elf grass.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Both ARE highly invasive...some people actually plant bermuda grass lawns though...not so much with crab grass.

If you have a fescue lawn, you DO NOT want bermuda grass invading it...

bermuda-wars-4.jpg

The stuff grows runners...and will quickly take over a fescue lawn if you don't control it.

Crab grass can also take over a lawn if not controlled...

smooth_crabgrass_IMG_6654.11865131_std.jpg

Depending on where you live, bermuda grass can make a nice, lush green lawn during the summer months...but it's a warm-season grass, so if it gets cold where you live, it dies back to a not-so-attractive brown during the winter months...while fescue stays green.

We don't get snow here, but it gets into the low-30's and even upper 20's in the winter. Bermuda always turns brown here, but fescue lawns stay green. (but fortunately, they don't grow much...and it's not common for me to have to mow my lawn between late November and early March.

Wow!! Thanks for the pic. I definitely want the first pic. They are very easy to maintain. The second one I hate and we have it too. My fescue died a long time ago and I don't want to deal with maintaining it.

I made a mistake identifying my lawn on my first post. I said it was crab grass but after seeing the picture it is bermuda. Sweet I bought the right stuff at home depot then.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A well-maintained bermuda grass lawn is nice. Soft and cushy to walk on, nice, lush green color during the warm months...but can be a bit "thirsty" in the hot season.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I have both invading my fescue. Crabgrass is a PITA and grows no matter how disgustingly hot it gets. I can mow my lawn and a week later the crabgrass is the only thing that has grown, and it looks awful.

That said, bermuda grass is a damn virus. The runners spread everywhere in ridiculously short time and manage to grow everywhere I dont want them to. And it's a total pain to edge bermuda. Fescue cuts/edges easily. Bermuda runners are tough as nails and have eaten entire spools of line from my string trimmer. It gets to the point where I just find a sharp pair of hedge clippers or a knife and just cut them by hand. I dislike crabgrass, but I effing hate bermuda.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
A well-maintained bermuda grass lawn is nice. Soft and cushy to walk on, nice, lush green color during the warm months...but can be a bit "thirsty" in the hot season.
This. It was easy to keep it tidy looking, but we had to water the hell out of it in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.