CPUz not reading properly for Athlon X2 QL-62 (laptop CPU)

Oct 30, 2004
I just bought a laptop that comes with an Athlon X2 QL-62 processor and CPUz either doesn't seem to be reading it properly (Vista Home Premium 32-bit) or the CPU is heavily underclocked. According to CPUz it runs at a speed of 1 Ghz and I can't look at the second core. (I know this can't be true since the laptop itself feels pretty fast.) Does CPUz just no longer work with newer AMD chips and Vista?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Cool'N'Quiet sounds like. It throttles the CPU when it's not under much of a load to save power/heat

Oct 30, 2004

I just did a search for CPUz cool quiet and it pulled up a bunch of threads addressing the exact same issue. Apparently CPUz just reads the current speed of the processor when cool 'n' quiet has lowered its speed down.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
I'd be more concerned if it doesn't detect the second core.

It sounds like CPUz is just showing him the speed core 0 and not the other

That's normal whipper, CPUz only shows the speed of one core because the rest are the same

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: yh125d
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
I'd be more concerned if it doesn't detect the second core.

It sounds like CPUz is just showing him the speed core 0 and not the other

That's normal whipper, CPUz only shows the speed of one core because the rest are the same

If that model is part of the 'Puma' laptop platform each core has an individual power plane and can be throttled individually to reduce overall power consumption.

In theory it's a good idea but I think in practice it might conflict with the OS load-balancing across cores - though it might be interesting for the OP to see what playing around with the core affinity might do ...