[CPU World] Prices of Ivy Bridge desktop processors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Good post....

Wow soo cheap!!! 300 bucks for a quad with 8 threads. I wonder how these OC,,but ya amazing how Intel doesnt have a 1k desktop chip no more....
?

ummmm these are for the normal people....

wait til see the server / enthusiast class.... those will have the prices ur used to.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
the socket is only s1155 for Ivy Bridge. No indication has been given for the next cpu generation. That being said, it might have the same socket, but need a different chipset, so makes no difference being the same socket.

Yeah, I did a little research and confirmed that IB will use LGA 1155. Hopefully it will be at least compatible with the Z68 chipset, so if I want to upgrade to IB I don't have to revamp my whole system. I just upgraded to SB; my plan is to buy the highest performing LGA 1155 IB chip right as Haswell releases, to get the best price. From then on I'll probably upgrade every "tick" that Intel does.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I think greenhawk needs to try the multiquote feature.

true, but generally when I am reading, I am at work 1/2 the time so it is more of a reply as I have a comment instead of saving up for just one post of several different topics that no one will really bother reading.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I think that intel will use that as just one more way to differentiate 2011 from other sockets.

going by an old artical intel was also looking at adding a second FSB speed for IB chips. But as they did not want the s2011 being effected, IB is 100 and 166. To me (if true or not) it just means getting a new chipset/motherboard when IB is released (doing a full upgrade) is looking to be a better option seeing as the SB boards will not have this feature.