CPU water damage?

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
Well 3 days ago a glass of water broke on my desk and accidentaly some water went into the PC while it was working. I immidiaetly turned it off and cleaned it. It was working fine but HWMonitor showed high temps on CPU and CPU socket. After that I changed the thermal paste on CPU cooler and on the chipset heatsinks (because I thought HWMonitor showed high temps on those). Now it still shows higher temps than usual on CPU and its socket and the temps are varying quite a lot. I turned on a game on high graphics, talked on skype and was browsing on Chrome quite fine, and the CPU fan didn't speed up. Could it be the sensors are malfunctioning or there is something wrong with the CPU?
P.S When I first removed CPU from its socked it looked perfectly fine without any corrosion or anything like water never fell onto it...

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Yeah try a different fan (if possible) if that behaves the same, double-check any fan controller settings (BIOS, and/or software) too see if for some reason it changed to a quiet/silent mode.

If that still doesn't do anything, then it's *possible* that water got somewhere it shouldn't have and partially fried the ... fan controller chip :)| 4AM forget what it's actually called at the moment, usually about 1.5cm² flat chip with letters like ITE or Nuvotron) which also controls/reads temperatures, RPM, etc, among other things.

If that's the case, it's likely safe to still run but you'd have to find other methods of fan control... and might want to start hunting for a new board.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
See if you can isolate what is happening.

What do you mean by higher temps, what kind of degrees are you talking about?

Now, higher temps could be due to the chip somehow generating more heat than usual, but are you sure that's what it is? Any chance you have another thermometer to verify? Or maybe feel the heatsink, does it stay cool and not suck heat out of the chip, so your CPU gets hot because the heatsink isn't doing its job? Maybe the fan controls are messed up, or maybe they work fine but the fan is not spinning as it should?

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
Problem is they vary alot. Its like they change every second for example core 0 changes from 31 to 36 degrees when idle, and when gaming its between 60-70 and when I close game it drops to like 40 very fast. Before that water spill it was constant temperature with little changes, now it changes like crazy...

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Problem is they vary alot. Its like they change every second for example core 0 changes from 31 to 36 degrees when idle, and when gaming its between 60-70 and when I close game it drops to like 40 very fast. Before that water spill it was constant temperature with little changes, now it changes like crazy...

What you are describing actually sounds normal.

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
What you are describing actually sounds normal.

Well as I said before the water spill the temps were like constantly on 35 degrees while idle, didn't measure them while loaded but I don't think they ever reached 70 degrees. My processor is i5 3570k by the way.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
that sounds totally normal my 3570 temps jump around like 5 deg all the time with each core being different ready (25-35c ) and under load they go to 62c in prime95 but your temps can vary depending on HS . I run 212 evo and room temps are 74F/23c .

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
that sounds totally normal my 3570 temps jump around like 5 deg all the time with each core being different ready (25-35c ) and under load they go to 62c in prime95 but your temps can vary depending on HS . I run 212 evo and room temps are 74F/23c .

I'm using the stock cooler. I hope I have applied the thermal paste well... But that varying is bugging me because every half a second it shows different temp. I just checked now it was saying on core0 33, 35, 40, 33 degrees all in like 3 or 4 seconds...

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Interesting, I was just reading my car's owner manual, and it said they intentionally avoid frequently updating the outside temperature reading because it would distract the driver. Are you sure you are not just suffering from distracted driving with your computer temp updates being too frequent?

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
I'm using the stock cooler. I hope I have applied the thermal paste well... But that varying is bugging me because every half a second it shows different temp. I just checked now it was saying on core0 33, 35, 40, 33 degrees all in like 3 or 4 seconds...

believe me, totally normal ,only difference than me is your slightly higher cause your using retail HS .

It wouldn't hurt to reapply compound on it but with those temps not sure it be any different .

did you remove Intels paste layer first ?
make sure each corner pin is all way through MB,tight, that is a reported issue many times .

Last edited:

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
believe me, totally normal ,only difference than me is your slightly higher cause your using retail HS .

It wouldn't hurt to reapply compound on it but with those temps not sure it be any different .

did you remove Intels paste layer first ?
make sure each corner pin is all way through MB,tight, that is a reported issue many times .

Yes I did remove it, though I don't know when I applied new paste was it spread out evenly...

kriviful

Nov 27, 2012
Oh well, thanks for reassuring me this is nothing to be worried about. Thanks again, you have saved me from stress :D