• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

CPU was running at 85-96 C for several hours - is that OK or not?

sltech

Jan 5, 2006
I've gotten a couple BSODs on my Windows 10 laptop recently, and I'm not sure if it's hardware or software related. Windows 10 did not generate any dump files or event logs for some reason.

So I've been running some benchmark programs just to make sure my system is stable. I ran Prime95 for a couple hours and the CPU temperature got up to the high 80s C. I also ran Aida64 for 4 hours and the CPU temperature ranged from 85 to 96 C.

Now I've been reading that you don't want the CPU to go over 80 C. Not sure if that's just for desktops or if it's also for laptop CPUs. Also, my CPU is a 4910MQ, which is a Haswell, and I've read that running Prime95 on a Haswell CPU might damage it? Just to be clear, I'm not overclocking anything, just using default settings and never touched the CPU.

Do you think running my CPU at those high temperatures for several hours was OK, or did I damage or shorten its lifespan?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Max is 100C so I think you are fine. It's a little high for AIDA64 though. Did you try blowing some compressed air to clear out the dust bunnies that may have accumulated in your exhaust fans? Try running memtest and test your ram.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Do you think running my CPU at those high temperatures for several hours was OK, or did I damage or shorten its lifespan?
You did not damage the CPU, your CPU was designed to operate at temps that high. There are several safeguards in place to protect the CPU, and in the worst case possible the system would shut down before the CPU were able to reach dangerous temps (100C+)

My own 4700HQ hits 90C in Prime 95 after just 1 min.

As for the BSODS, considering I also own a Haswell era laptop and had my hurdles with Win 10, my advice would be to assume driver problems first, hardware second. My biggest problems with Win 10 on laptop was the combination of Intel iGPU + Nvidia Kepler dGPU, their drivers were responsible for many months of occasional but unpreventable BSODs. Of course, your mileage may vary.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Temperature is fine and you are not getting a BSOD from that. At 100C it would simply just throttle down in speed.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I've run a 4700EQ with the fan unplugged. Temperatures pegged on all cores. Fun stuff. You get a better feeling for what a processor can handle when you arent the one who has to pay for it.

crashtech

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2013
I worked on a laptop recently that had a defective heat pipe. This is exceedingly rare, but it does apparently happen. High idle temps, overheating, and taking a long time to cool off are all signs that the cooling system needs attention, first by clearing dust from the fins, next is ensuring the fan is achieving high RPM when necessary, next is to replace the thermal pad/paste, and finally to replace the heat pipe if the other three things don't work.

ASK THE COMMUNITY