CPU Utilization

jibberegg

Nov 30, 2010
www.davetheanalyst.com
Hey team,

I noticed my F@H ppd dropping off a cliff and decided to junk my current clients and install the newer v7.1 Windows client.

Good news: ppd recovered nicely (slightly higher even) and I'm back on my march up the project board.

Bad news: I have to work. Previously I was running the SMP command line client and it was completely unobtrusive. If I suddenly had to max out my PC with some Excel wizardry then it would chill out for a few minutes and then carry on when I went back to reading Anandtech. The latest version isn't playing ball though. It took me almost a minute to type my password into the Windows Login screen this morning as it turned my dual Xenon E5645 box into what felt like a 10 year old Celeron with a fragmented 5400rpm HDD running three anti virus programs simultaneously.

405368_10100529495289605_168523608_n.jpg

Here I'm running a bunch of SUMIFS to max out Excel's CPU usage and it's crawling along using 8% Any ideas what I've managed to mess up?

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
You can always save yourself a core (I know you'll lose PPD and F@H doesn't like weird core numbers) but it'll give you a core to use when you need to work. (And if you're setting # of cores to 24 (including HT), then you could always bump it down to 23 and it should be more responsive for Excel.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Not surprised - has been a problem "ages" before!
Congrats on solving it - and being able to work and fold at the same time. I can not do that - i am only allowed to have a DC-project program running after I finish my work for the day ...