CPU upgrade Problem

Fenriss

Platinum Member
Jun 1, 2001
Hello,
need help on a CPU upgrade issue.
installed my new 4800+ X2 in my rig (Specs: A8nSLI Deluxe w/ the latest 1014 bios, 2 GB Corsair VS, 2 X 7800 GTX, WinXP PRO installed in 2 X Raptors Raid0, PCP&C 510W SLI, and my rig has never been O/Ced).
system booted fine (went to bios to check temp 36C CPU 30C mobo) but it took forever to load windows. and when the OS finally loaded,
the system was unusable because the CPU load was 100%. this went on for several minutes. finally rebooted, again same result.
took out the 4800+X2 and reinstalled my old FX-55, booted up and the system again had problems loading the OS.
thinking that my raid0 got corrupted, i installed the 4800+X2 again and swapped the raptors w/ a WD se. and did a fresh install of WinXP pro. but after waiting for 3 hours, it still hadn't completed. actually it was not even close to being done.
???? i'm stumped. i don't think the problem is the 2 CPU's or my OS, could it be that the MOBO got damaged during the install? i've been assembling computers since 96 and this is the first time i've ever had this kind of problem.
thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

anandtechrocks

Dec 7, 2004
Where in the Windows XP installation is it hanging? Are you doing a "Complete Reformat?" I fixed a friends computer that was hanging in the reformat of the HDD by just running a "Quick Reformat." When you do a "Complete Reformat" Windows tries to "fix the errors on the drive" but sometimes I don't think it works too well. And that doesn't really sound like a motherboard problem to me...

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Check that the L1 and L2 cache are not turned off...
i don't know if its still posible to turn them off, but worth checking.

I did that to my old amd k6-2 500 when i had it, it took 48 hours to instal win XP :p.