Question CPU Upgrade Issues

pal007

Sep 5, 2020
Hi All

I upgraded my laptop HP CPU from Intel Pentium P6100 to Intel Core i5 460M.

Laptop model - HP G62

Though I was able to boot the Laptop without any issues, the clock is showing incorrect time. I manually reset / sync ed with internet time server, which fixed the issue for the moment.

Exactly after 1 hour the clock resets to the time before the manual reset. This keeps happening every 1 hour. Any thoughts ?

Other important thing is the wi-fi does not work after an hour also. I need to restart. When I restart , the internet works.Is this some hardware fault (wifi cable fitment issue) when I repacked the laptop ?

Note - The BIOS is latest. Though I did not update the BIOS before the CPU upgrade.

Refer the attached spec

Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• HP G62 CPU Spec 07082020 aftr upgrade.JPG
    HP G62 CPU Spec 07082020 aftr upgrade.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 7

pal007

Sep 5, 2020
By battery do you mean the CMOS Real Time Clock battery ? But then how does it work for an hour & then reset to the time (exactly an hour back) ?

Is it because wifi is lost, time resets to old time recorded somewhere ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The laptop reboots itself, or shuts down, or resets, or whatever, every hour, right? That's the Intel chipset lockout. You CANNOT upgrade a laptop that came with a Pentium, to a higher Core CPU. THEY WON'T LET YOU. (*) Unless your laptop mfg used the higher end chipset that's supposed to be used with Core CPUs, with a Pentium. In which case, you lucked out.

Edit: If it's just the time, are you certain that your timezone is set correctly, including the switch for DST? It probably goes out and syncs the time with internet time protocol servers every hour.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: damian101

pal007

Sep 5, 2020
Thanks for the response. Yes the timezone is set correctly. It syncs with the 'internet time server'.

When I try to manually sync, it throws the error. refer attached image.

Attachments

• time settings error.JPG
    time settings error.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 11

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, I wonder if win 7 is having some issue now communicating with internet time servers due to EOL. can you try a Linux environment, something light like Lubuntu?