ryanrox

Sep 9, 2003
Hey Guys.

I recently assembled a system with the config:

Celeron 2.6 Ghz
ECS Barebone EZ Buddie D1S4-2
MSI Geforce 5200 128mb ram
IBM 80 GB harddisk 2mb buffer

The computer starts up just fine. The stability is hell. Windows was installed successfully but experience random frezzes. the stability increases when i try to lower the clock speed of the CPU ( by turning the little knob) to like 2.33ghz, or when I try to switch off the SMART FAN SPEED control in the bios and let the fan run at full speed. I dont think it;s an overheating problem and the temp monitors never record temperaturs higher than 50C. My case is open and I have cool air in the room. Ventiliation is good.

I brought the computer back to the vendor and he looked at my CPU and said I should never apply thermal paste to a P4 processor as it reduces the efficiency to dissipiate heat. He said I fried part of the CPU IC and I am lucky enough to be able to boot up the system. i think he;s kind of BSing me. Or maybe it's just a defective CPU. I am told that defective CPU works stable under lower clock speed.

Prime95 works ( when my fan speed is full) but not for long. after like a few hours the system just freezes there. It didn;t reboot or anything. The pointer just doesn't move.

Now should I go get a CPU replacement as the warrenty is still in?

What is cauing this instability? the mobo?

By the way it's not the ram problem. The PSU is new and it comes with the ECS barebone. Any ideas?

Apr 17, 2003
what psu are you using?

i would guess this is the work of a weak PSU or bad ram. you can run memtest on the ram to see if it is faulty

ryanrox

Sep 9, 2003
I ran memtest and it ran fine.
try to use other ram - no help.

I am using the PSU that comes with the barebone. I think it's sufficient.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I brought the computer back to the vendor and he looked at my CPU and said I should never apply thermal paste to a P4 processor as it reduces the efficiency to dissipiate heat
What type of HSF are you using?

EDIT: BTW... The vendor is so full of sh!t his eyes must be brown....
rolleye.gif

ryanrox

Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Magdalene
Originally posted by: Technonut
I brought the computer back to the vendor and he looked at my CPU and said I should never apply thermal paste to a P4 processor as it reduces the efficiency to dissipiate heat
What type of HSF are you using?

EDIT: BTW... The vendor is so full of sh!t his eyes must be brown....
rolleye.gif

so true.

are you sure the knob lowers cpu speed and not just fan speed? i've never heard of such a device.

Yep!!
I got this http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20030722/mini-pcs-04.html