CPU underclocking . . .

weiv0004

Oct 28, 2004
So I'm gimping along on an old computer until i go back to school and have to buy a Macbook Pro. I don't really play games on it (i have an xbox for that) but lately my dad wanted to play Dawn of War with me. The system is old, but should be more than capable of playing an older game like that. However, every time i start up the game, after a little while the system crashes and restarts the computer.

I figured it was an overheating issue. Opening the case and aiming a fan at it allowed it to run MUCH longer, if not indefinitely. I replaced the heatsink/fan on my Graphics card and CPU because they had both seen better days, but still had the same results.

After a few days i noticed it was running just fine, even without the fan, i also noticed that the CPU had somehow gotten underclocked. It's an AthlonXP 2600+ and it was running at something like 1.3 GHz. I bumped it back up to default, and again got the crashes, dropped it down to about 1.6 GHz and have no problems.

So, the question is. Do i gimp along as is? If i find an old AthlonXP 3200 + will i be able to get a little more power out of this system? Or would that likely have to be underclocked to a similar speed to avoid overheating?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current CPU . . . it's a very small/cramped case. I figure it's just not getting enough air circ.

Cliffs:

• Athlon XP 2600+ crashes during gaming unless underclocked

• Would an Athlon XP 3200+ run cooler at higher speeds? Or would it likely have to be underclocked similar to the 2600?

Thanks!

----

Oh. Just realized this should probably be in Computer Help. Feel free to move, mods. Thanks!

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
You shouldn't need to underclock. Your HSF should provide sufficient cooling.
What are your temps under load? When going from idle to load do they rise sharply? (bad contact with the heat sink will make them shoot up instead of the more gradual increase you'll see if there's good contact)

(let's make sure your cooling is good first. After that we can work on undervolting.)

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Don't base stability on whether or not it crashes since processors can be horribly unstable and still not crash the system.

Download a copy of OCCT. Run the test called "PSU Test".

That's pretty much the ultimate test. If any component in the system is weak, it will fail that test. It will also tell you the temperatures.

weiv0004

Oct 28, 2004
Hi,

I tried running OCCT a few times. The temp jumped drastically and immediately (from 45 - 85) and then the program stopped. My computer also doesn't seem to be working at all now :(

I've started a new post here since it seemed a more appropriate forum.

Thanks for your help thus far!