CPU Temps too High?

iRage

Feb 11, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm currently looking at my ROG Sensor on the AI Suite, it says that my CPU is at 37c, CPU Socket 41c while the motherboard is 36c. I only have firefox with this one tab open, is this too high? Could I have a faulty Heatsink? I'm running a Hyper 212+ over Arctic MX-4 with a i7-2600k.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
37C for web browsing and not idle seems pretty good to me. Temps varies depending on the ambient temps of your place but for a setup that I have built with Core i7 2600 it hovers around that temps as well so I would say that your rig is fine.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Seems fine to me although I'm rather new to SB. It tickles me everytime I see people post about CPU temps, specifically on these newer processors, and they never post what kind of case, fans, and ambient temps they are running....

Some will say "My 2500K idles at 26C" then some say "mine idles at 36C why is mine so much higher"

these are HUGE! factors :biggrin:

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
my 2600k also web browes/idles between 33-36c. Then at load hits 72ish on two cores. As long as it is stable I try not to freak out - I always have very, very high temps on my CPUs; I'm starting to believe its my apartment, which is always being slammed with heat (lots of old people in my building, easily 80 degrees F in my place).

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
My i7 920 is around 38-40c with light us, Firefox, SD movie, msn/etc...

I think you're fine :)

iRage

Feb 11, 2011
Seems fine to me although I'm rather new to SB. It tickles me everytime I see people post about CPU temps, specifically on these newer processors, and they never post what kind of case, fans, and ambient temps they are running....

Some will say "My 2500K idles at 26C" then some say "mine idles at 36C why is mine so much higher"

these are HUGE! factors :biggrin:

Well I have a Raven 02-E Case with 3 180mm Fans in the bottom and1 120mm fan at the top. My Hyper 212+ has one exhaust and one intake. This reason I'm concerned is I want to OC and I'm afraid it'll overheat. Though right now all my fans are connected to my motherboard so they automatically adjust speeds, since my computer is ridiculously silent right now, I'm assuming it because it's running at a low speeds.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Check your core temps with HWMonitor ..
With SB, Cores 2&3 seem to run a few degrees hotter than 1&4. I have seen mine as much as 10c hotter at full load..

Also, what is your CPU clock with just Firefox running ?
Mine idles down to 1600, with vcore at 1.1v and temps as follows:
core 1 31
core 2 29
core 3 34
core 4 27

When I ramp up to full load - Folding@Home - my 4.9 overclock kicks in, my vcore goes to ~1.44, and my temps go to:
core 1 62
core 2 67
core 3 70
core 4 60
( core temps fluctuate +/- 2c )

I have a pretty generic Coolermaster case, with one, 120 fan in lower front, and 2 120's blowing out the top.

My 212 is oriented to blow out the top with one fan pushing..

If you can over-clock and keep your temps in the mid 70's or lower, you shouldn't have anything to worry about ..

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Well I have a Raven 02-E Case with 3 180mm Fans in the bottom and1 120mm fan at the top. My Hyper 212+ has one exhaust and one intake. This reason I'm concerned is I want to OC and I'm afraid it'll overheat. Though right now all my fans are connected to my motherboard so they automatically adjust speeds, since my computer is ridiculously silent right now, I'm assuming it because it's running at a low speeds.

So at idle you run ~37C and I'm assuming your ambient room temp is around ~21C or 70F. This temp with your fans on low or very silent is only 2C higher that what I see on my 2500K so I think your fine. I run a FractalR3 with 3 Scythe 120mm's one intake (800rpm), one rear exhaust (800rpm), and one on the 212+ (800rpm). SpeedFan ramps all 3 up to 1200rpm under load. OC a little and monitor your temps really the only way you'll find out. What are your load temps right now as that seems more important?

iRage

Feb 11, 2011
Alright, I'm currently posting this on my laptop.

My case is a Raven RV02-E, for some reason the 3 180mm Bottom Intake Fans only hit a maximum of 850 - 900 rpm at 100%, there suppose to be 1200 rpm at 100%. I have two GTX 580s inside, and the case is pretty spacious.

I installed a Hyper 212+ with the basic CPU Fan as intake, and a 120mm 2000 RPM SickleFlow as Exhaust, I just recently remounted the heatsink and applied a thin layer of Arctic MX-4 to the CPU only... What has me concerned is that when I lined up the Heatsink the second time, its a little slanted. So I'm not sure if it's mounted properly or not.

As far as temps go, I'm running RealTemp and AI Suite 2

AI Suite 2 IDLE Readings:
CPU: 35.0c
CPU Socket: 40.0c
Motherboard: 35.0c

RealTemp IDLE Readings:
Min CPU Core 1: 31.0c
Min CPU Core 2: 34.0c
Min CPU Core 3: 32.0c
Min CPU Core 4: 29.0c

Right now I'm running Prime 95 for Stress Tests in order to make sure I can overclock safely. These are with Prime 95 running for an hour.

AI Suite 2 Prime 95 Stress Test Readings:
CPU: 71.0c
CPU Socket: 53.0c
Motherboard: 35.0c

RealTemp Prime 95 Stress Test Readings:

Max CPU Core 1: 66.0c
Max CPU Core 2: 72.0c
Max CPU Core 3: 71.0c
Max CPU Core 4: 68.0c

Now these are all done at stock speeds. As far as case flow, I'm actually really proud of how I finished this case compared to the one I made 7 years ago, there's barely any clutter and most wires are completely hidden in the back. Though the room I'm in is currently at like 80 degrees (Damn Arizona).

So, do you guys think this is stable enough for OCing (Never done it before). Also do you think I need to remount my Heatsink because of the slant issue? I just read a post that said I should have applied some Thermal Paste to the heatsink itself, but I didn't, is that a cause of concern?

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
So, do you guys think this is stable enough

If it isn't crashing or giving errors, then it is stable. Doesn't matter whether it is running 20°C, 40°C or 60°C.

I just read a post that said I should have applied some Thermal Paste to the heatsink itself, but I didn't, is that a cause of concern?

There needs to be enough thermal paste to have the CPU heatspreader contact the heatsink base, but not too much so that gobs of it squeezes out. Many people just put a small line across the CPU and call it a day. It will get on the heatsink once you install it. If you don't have any thermal past whatsoever, then yes put some of that stuff in there. Again, just enough and not too much. I'm sure you can do a web search to find some tutorial out there. Note that while there are wrong ways to use the thermal paste, there is no single right way.

iRage

Feb 11, 2011
After constant overclock and tweaking, I think I find my sweet spot, but I'm concerned about Temps. I went up to 4.7GHz on my i7-2600K and after an hour of Prime95 on Blend I hit 86c, so I stopped it and downclocked.er

After some more trial and error, I found the only clock that doesn't scare the crap out of me in risks of overheating. 4.6 GHz at v1.29, I've been running Prime95 Blend now for 4 Hours without an issue, but the Temps still concern me, though not as bad as previously. Right now my max temp is 80c, this is only on Core 2 after 4 hours of Prime95. I usually hover around 75c. I also had my overheating crap laptop running not to far from it for the whole time to simulate summer weather where I live.

Is 80c safe? Am I pushing it to much? I don't plan on using this for anything other than Gaming, so I doubt I'll ever stress my CPU as much as Prime95 does again.

Also did I already hurt my CPU by hitting 86c and all these BSODs? I think I hit 6 BSODs before finding the right voltage.

Any suggestions on how to lower my temps without downclocking? I'm currently running Hyper 212+ in RV02-E Case w/ stock fans.

Thanks in advanced!

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
After constant overclock and tweaking, I think I find my sweet spot, but I'm concerned about Temps. I went up to 4.7GHz on my i7-2600K and after an hour of Prime95 on Blend I hit 86c, so I stopped it and downclocked.er

After some more trial and error, I found the only clock that doesn't scare the crap out of me in risks of overheating. 4.6 GHz at v1.29, I've been running Prime95 Blend now for 4 Hours without an issue, but the Temps still concern me, though not as bad as previously. Right now my max temp is 80c, this is only on Core 2 after 4 hours of Prime95. I usually hover around 75c. I also had my overheating crap laptop running not to far from it for the whole time to simulate summer weather where I live.

Is 80c safe? Am I pushing it to much? I don't plan on using this for anything other than Gaming, so I doubt I'll ever stress my CPU as much as Prime95 does again.

Also did I already hurt my CPU by hitting 86c and all these BSODs? I think I hit 6 BSODs before finding the right voltage.

Any suggestions on how to lower my temps without downclocking? I'm currently running Hyper 212+ in RV02-E Case w/ stock fans.

Thanks in advanced!
80 is safe, but you shouldn't be hitting those temps with a 212+ at 4.7g.

I'm in low 70's at 4.9 and 1.44v ..

I would recommend you re-install your 212 and make sure it is nice and flat with a thin layer of thermal compound..

iRage

Feb 11, 2011
Should I be using a spread method, or should I use a line method/pea method and let the pressure of mounting the Heatsink spread the Thermal Compound?