CPU Smart FAN Control on Gigabyte K8NF-9!

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
Hi,

I noticed that whenever I set this option to Enabled in the BIOS, the CPU FAN doesn't spin at all, as long as the CPU temperature is lower than 21C. It turns back on when it gets to 21C. As you may guess, this only takes place on cold boots as the CPU temp is above 20C in any other case.

It seems that the board operates the FAN in full speed when it is working, since even if this feature is disabled, the max RPM figure is exactly the same when the feature is enabled and the FAN is on. So it does NOT reduce FAN speed at all, as it only has two modes:

TEMP<21 = FAN off.
TEMP>20 = FAN on at FULL speed.

Is there ANY risk taken when the CPU FAN is NOT spinning at all as long as the temp is lower than 21C?

Have you guys (K8NF-9 owners) set it to Enabled or Disabled?

Thanks. :)

hondAS2ooo170

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Trente
Hi,

I noticed that whenever I set this option to Enabled in the BIOS, the CPU FAN doesn't spin at all, as long as the CPU temperature is lower than 21C. It turns back on when it gets to 21C. As you may guess, this only takes place on cold boots as the CPU temp is above 20C in any other case.

It seems that the board operates the FAN in full speed when it is working, since even if this feature is disabled, the max RPM figure is exactly the same when the feature is enabled and the FAN is on. So it does NOT reduce FAN speed at all, as it only has two modes:

TEMP<21 = FAN off.
TEMP>20 = FAN on at FULL speed.

Is there ANY risk taken when the CPU FAN is NOT spinning at all as long as the temp is lower than 21C?

wait wat that doesnt make sense. so ur saying when u eneableing it in the bios the fan turns on at everything greater than 20c, and turns off when it is less then 21c

if yes im not getting it
if no im not getting it

hondAS2ooo170

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: hondAS2ooo170
that doesnt make sence. its is mathmatically imposiible

It is; think again. :)

>20c on, <21c off
20 is less than 21, so at 20 it should be off, but then at 20 its should be on
21 is greater than 20, so at 21 it should be on, then at 21 it should be on
???

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I enable CPU Smart Fan on my K8NF-9...though my experiences with it's functionality differs from yours.

On my board it shuts off completetely at or below 20C it shuts off completely, between 21-49C it's runs at a constant low speed. Between 50-59C is slowly ramps up depending on temperature, and 60C+ is always runs at it's maximum temperature.

What HSF are you using?

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
I'm using the Retail HSF unit that came with my PIB (Processor-In-Box). When I set Smart Fan off, it should operate the Fan at full speed, right? Well, it runs at ~3,000RPM - same as when I enable Smart Fan and that leads me to believe it IS operating at max speed.

Mar 5, 2005
mine doesnt seem to be working, it stays at the same rpm all the time, and i also installed amd cool and quiet driver but my cpu stays at 1800mhz....is there something im not activating?

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
kind of an update: weather has changed since OP was posted (hotter now), and it seems that my board actually increases RPMs even when the Smart Fan control is turned off!

It has a mind of its own...

WTF?

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
If the noise isn't bothering you, and nothing's overheating, I say don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

That's just me though.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004

20-21 degree is about the temperature on the room. so I guess that if there was any risk, then the CPU would died only being stored at room tmperature.

I leave it enable, but with the fan fail disabled, as I had to support the alarm for some time at cold boot until the temperature rise over 20.