CPU running slow on battery - is this normal/common?

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by VirtualLarry, Nov 7, 2012.

1. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I recently obtained an Asus X401A (purchased at BestBuy). It has a B970 CPU. (2.3Ghz Sandy Bridge Pentium dual-core.)

I installed CPU-Z 1.62.something.

I noticed, and marvelled at, the fact that while on Skype, this CPU appeared to be "so fast", that it was not even coming out of idle clocks.

Then I went to Speedtest.net, and it loaded SLOWLY. VERY SLOWLY. It's a fairly heavy flash-based site.

Then I realized, it wasn't that the CPU wasn't deciding to throttle up, rather, it was PREVENTED from throttling up.

Then I realized, that this CPU appears to be "locked" at 800Mhz while on battery. Thus being slower than my C-60 based Netbook, amazingly enough.

All, just to have comparable battery life to the c-60 while on battery.

Even Aero Glass effects are disabled while on battery.

It is using the default installation of Asus pre-loaded software. It seems to have included some sort of "PowerGears" software, that changes power plans automagically, based on whether it is running off of battery or plugged into AC power.

This feels almost like false advertising to me. "2.3Ghz" should be capable of actually RUNNING at that speed, whether on battery or not.

AMD laptops run at full-speed on battery, why can't Intel-based laptops?

I once owned a Gateway C2D laptop, that acted the same way. I think that it was 1.6Ghz, but only ran at 800Mhz on battery as well. And that was with a fresh default install of the OS. I assumed that was controlled by the BIOS somehow.

2. paul878

paul878 Senior member

If you want the cpu to run full speed on battery then set it to do so in power manager. pick the Maximum performance plan.

3. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

In short, yes. This is really more of a Windows thing than an Asus thing, but basically the CPU and other things are "degraded" in order to prolong the amount of time you can run the unit on battery power.

4. Ketchup

Ketchup Lifer

So Larry, if you take off the Asus crap will it start hitting full speed?

My Lenovos did not have this issue.

-Mike

5. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Uninstall that Asus junk

6. marcplante

marcplante Senior member

Or you can go into that Asus junk and refine the advanced power settings to tweak CPU levels under battery operation. You have to decide what profiles you want handy and whether the default windows tools give you enough flexibility to do what you want.

If so, Ditch the Asus SW. If not, you may want it

7. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I adjusted max processor state to 100% in the Asus software, and clicked "Save", and it still doesn't throttle up when on battery power.

8. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

As was stated earlier in the thread: check power options

It's a windows thing, not an Asus thing. You can usually get to it from just right clicking the battery icon in your toolbar, but you can always get to it via control panel. You can easily switch between profiles that control what performance is possible on battery.

9. Ketchup

Ketchup Lifer

I thought the 'insert power options' overrode the windows power options; so, save the Asus options = save the Windows options (that are already present, anyway)

10. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

Last few generations of CPU only really throttle up when they need to based on the task. Start compressing some HD video and then see what your CPU reports.

11. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

Try throttlestop. I'd be very curious to know if it actually helps.