CPU pricing

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Have CPU's not been dropping in price as quickly recently as they used to in years past? For example, the Athlon X2 7850 BE is $49 at newegg, and it listed at $69 when it came out almost 2 years ago. Or is that a bad CPU example to use?

I ask because I'm building a PC for my parents and am wondering whether to buy an Athlon II X2 now and upgrade to a Phenom II X4 maybe a year or two from now (and sell the X2) when/if they dropped in price enough. But if prices won't be dropping much, it wouldn't be worth the effort, and could end up costing more if I didn't get much out of selling the X2 at that time.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You do know that AM2/3 socket is dead, and the new socket AM3+ is coming ? I don't think you will see those CPUs in two years time, except on fleabay or something.

Price for most AMD chips have been pretty level for the past few months. There was no big price drop when SB launched, so I would expect them to stay at the level they are at +-$5 or so.

pitz

Feb 11, 2010
US dollar could very well drop in the next few years, pushing the CPU pricing up even more.

Really, its amazing what you get for $100 these days. Remember the days when you couldn't even get into the game without spending $500-$1000 on a CPU? Today, you basically can buy top-of-the-line for $200-$300.

If you need a machine today, you may as well buy one.

I wouldn't buy anything predicated on a 'plan' to sell just the CPU and upgrade it. A Phenom II X2 chip is not much higher than bottom of barrel for AM2/AM3, so it would seem doubtful that anyone will be looking to buy your chip in a few years.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
CPU pricing usually doesn't drop. The CPUs just get discontinued and replaced with something better at the same price points.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Yup there is only so low they can go before they are effectively paying you to take them off their hands...

(i.e. supply, manufacturing, distribution, marketing costs > what you pay).

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
A Q9550 was down to $230 according to Pricewatch, now they are $259.99, have been for a week or so now.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
A Q9550 was down to $230 according to Pricewatch, now they are $259.99, have been for a week or so now.

At end of life you sometimes see an increase. Often people will want to replace a CPU to give a speed bonus. If the chips are in short supply they go up. Upgrading from a C2D to a C2Q is MUCH cheaper than a whole system upgrade, even at inflated prices.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
At end of life you sometimes see an increase. Often people will want to replace a CPU to give a speed bonus. If the chips are in short supply they go up. Upgrading from a C2D to a C2Q is MUCH cheaper than a whole system upgrade, even at inflated prices.

Of course it is, you are only buying a CPU and not a motherboard RAM and CPU.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Have CPU's not been dropping in price as quickly recently as they used to in years past? For example, the Athlon X2 7850 BE is $49 at newegg, and it listed at $69 when it came out almost 2 years ago. Or is that a bad CPU example to use?

I ask because I'm building a PC for my parents and am wondering whether to buy an Athlon II X2 now and upgrade to a Phenom II X4 maybe a year or two from now (and sell the X2) when/if they dropped in price enough. But if prices won't be dropping much, it wouldn't be worth the effort, and could end up costing more if I didn't get much out of selling the X2 at that time.

well in your example its a 30% price cut. so if a cpu is $200, after 2 years it'll drop to $140 new, seems reasonable, but remember with cpus when a mobo is discontinued the price on a NEW cpu can actually increase because its hard to find. Its not like video cards where the vid card is so old so as to be obsolete, and therefore the store just wants to get some of its money back. For used hardware its a whole different story ofcourse, i bought my xfx 5870 XXX edition 1 month ago for $175.:)