CPU overheating after new GPU installed, please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded by video card from a radeon 4850 to an nvidia GTX 560. On making this change, my PC began to randomly shutdown, the source of which I quickly identified as the CPU overheating beyond its 'safe' temperatures.

The CPU is an i7 920 c0 stepping in an MSI X58 motherboard.

After some testing back and forth, swapping out the new card and the old one and testing various temperatures, I have the following information:

Old Radeon installed:
Idle GPU [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]temp[/COLOR][/COLOR]: ~65 degrees C
Load GPU Temp: ~80 degrees C
Idle CPU temp: ~35 - 40 degrees C
Load CPU Temp ~60 - 70 degrees C

New GTX 560 installed:
Idle GPU Temp: ~20 - 30 degrees C
Load GPU Temp: ~50 - 60 degrees C
Idle CPU Temp: ~50 - 60 degress C, or higher (fluctuates a LOT)
Load CPU Temp: Climbs rapidly upon use of most applications particularly games, caps at around 100 degrees C then the system crashes.

I've been reading forums and doing web reseach trying to find users with similar problems, and I believe I found a few, but for the most part people seem to think that the change is attributable to an overall case temperature change.

My arguments against that would be:
1) Overall case temps causing a 25 degree + swing in CPU tempatures seems pretty extreme.
2) Why would the new GPU running at lower temperatures compared to the old GPU, cause such a huge swing in case temps?
3) The case is a clean and well maintained full tower with 5 correctly configured fans.

Does anyone have any other ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kind Regards,

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
2) Why would the new GPU running at lower temperatures compared to the old GPU, cause such a huge swing in case temps?

I would think that a GPU which exhausts into the case rather than outside of it could cause a considerable increase in case temp. Have you tried running with side of the the case off?

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
Hi guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

@theAnimal - I havent tried running without the side installed, but the side itself has an intake fan on it, then one in the top and one in the front, and two at the rear exhausting. I'd have hoped that would keep a good flow of air going through the case. I'll try without the side on when I get home and see if it helps.

@Ken - 100% sure, I had a CPU overheating problem caused by just this in a different PC about 2 years ago, so it was the first thing I checked. Its definitely on tight, and its clean and its fan is unobstructed while the case is standing. Also, this wouldnt explain why the temperatures return to normal when I put the old video card back in.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ran into the same issue a few months back when I upgraded from a 4850 to a 5870. Bought a new Case with better airflow and everything has been fine since.

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
Hm interesting Sand, was your 5870 exhausting into the case? (think fan configs differ a bit depending on the manufacturer)

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
Are the two GPU cooling systems very different? Does one have a closed enclosure, sucking air in one end and blowing out on the other, while the other has open grills with fans blowing out top?
Sounds like the new GPU works against the airflow in your case. Maybe you have to revise the whole ventilation system according to the GPU now. Meaning - change negative (all or most fans blowing out) to positive (all or most fans sucking air in) pressure.
Also, how is your CPU cooled? Air, I assume? Stock cooler or a after-market one? Maybe post some pictures, to better ilustrate how the cooling in your case works generally.

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
@tulx - Yes they are different, the 4850 had a fullbody plasstic enclosure and vented air exclusively out the back, while the new 560 has a much more open cooler. It does have a rear vent, but the cooling solution on the card has several large heat pipes and the fans clearly just blow air wherever.

In short, yes the card is blowing hot air into my case. I've been reading some more and apparently this style of GPU-heatsink is known for causing heat issues in the case.

I'll see what I can do about getting a few photos of the inside of my case, and will also experiment with switch around some fans to see if I can direct hot air flow from the card away from my cpu cooler and out of the case.

Finally, yes my CPU is using the stock cooler, which I thought was sufficient since ive never had problems.. but now im wondering :(

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
@tulx - Yes they are different, the 4850 had a fullbody plasstic enclosure and vented air exclusively out the back, while the new 560 has a much more open cooler. It does have a rear vent, but the cooling solution on the card has several large heat pipes and the fans clearly just blow air wherever.

In short, yes the card is blowing hot air into my case. I've been reading some more and apparently this style of GPU-heatsink is known for causing heat issues in the case.

I'll see what I can do about getting a few photos of the inside of my case, and will also experiment with switch around some fans to see if I can direct hot air flow from the card away from my cpu cooler and out of the case.

Finally, yes my CPU is using the stock cooler, which I thought was sufficient since ive never had problems.. but now im wondering :(

Thanks for the info. I've also had similar experience, where closed GPU coolers don't cool the GPU itself as good as open coolers, but they don't heat up other components, because they blow the hot air out of the case.
The temperature numbers you listed seem to confim this - the Nvidia is cooler than the Radeon, because of the open cooler, but it messes with the ambient in-case temperature.
Your plan sounds good - switch around some fans, and, if that doesn't solve the problem, get a good aftermarket CPU cooler. It really dosn't need to be expensive. Some of the better ones are quite affordable, actually.

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
CM Hyper 212+ has been on my watchlist for a while actually, but I avoided due to being scared to break something while installing it.

If I cant solve this with the in-case fans, that will be my next stop :D

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
CM Hyper 212+ has been on my watchlist for a while actually, but I avoided due to being scared to break something while installing it.

While the installation of a CPU heatsink usually requires more force than one is comfortable with, you can't do much wrong if you read one of the numerous guides on the internet.

Main things to keep in mind are:
  • Make sure the heatsink is suppposed to fit on the socket (see heatsink datasheet)
  • After removing the stock cooler, clean the top of the CPU thoroughly, removing the old paste before applying the new one.
  • Don't apply too much or less thermal paste (see guides)
  • Make sure you don't bend any CPU pins while handling it.
  • Install the new heatsink according to the instructions that come with it, make sure it fits well.
  • Don't forget to connect the CPU fan connector when you're done.
That should be it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hm interesting Sand, was your 5870 exhausting into the case? (think fan configs differ a bit depending on the manufacturer)

It exhausts both out the back and into the Case. It just runs hotter overall and its' size impedes airflow, at least it did in my old case.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Could be wrong, but I think something else is going on with your temperatures.

Just adding a different video card might increase temperatures, but not so much at that your CPU heats up to 100C degrees.

Tell us more about your rig -- your "configuration." Were you over-clocking? Do you have an Intel processor with the integrated GPU?

The only other thing I'd suggest: "Ducting." [I'm "The Duck-tster-meister."]

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
After some testing back and forth, swapping out the new card and the old one and testing various temperatures, I have the following information:

How many times have you gone back and forth and seen this temperature difference? The gpu shouldnt cause that much temperature increase. Especially if you load the cpu when the gpu is idle! Confirm this. If you get high cpu temps when the gpu is idle then it certainly is not the gpu cooler type that is causing the problem. It could be tht the new card screws up your cpu voltage. Try lowering the cpu voltage when the 560 is installed. It may be able to run at a lower voltage with that card installed. I've seen that before. I had to increase my cpu voltage last time I switched video cards.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Heat <> temp. Just because the new card is cooler doesn't mean it produce less heat. In fact, there exists a in case exhaust which increases the ambient temp within the case.

My guess is, the heat coming from the card ends up in the CPU HS intake region, which your data seems to agree.

See if you can mount a exhaust fan near the HDD bay.

There are more gurus in the cooling forum on this issue.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Heat <> temp. Just because the new card is cooler doesn't mean it produce less heat. In fact, there exists a in case exhaust which increases the ambient temp within the case.

My guess is, the heat coming from the card ends up in the CPU HS intake region, which your data seems to agree.

See if you can mount a exhaust fan near the HDD bay.

There are more gurus in the cooling forum on this issue.

That's the only plausible explanation so far -- other than something the new vid card "does" to CPU voltage -- that makes sense. It may be that my "hint" for a solution . . . . might even be "The Solution". . . .

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Well the GTX560 consume like 100W more than a 4850 and if one was exhausting outside and one is dumping all heat inside...

You need to have a look at CPU and case cooling solutions.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well the GTX560 consume like 100W more than a 4850 and if one was exhausting outside and one is dumping all heat inside...

You need to have a look at CPU and case cooling solutions.

It is unlikely a CPU Cooling change will help much if Case Temps are the cause. I have a decent tower cooler and it didn't help any as trying to cool with hot air is very difficult.

Auracle

Jul 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

Really appreciate all the input - I'm absolutely swamped lately so I didn't get a chance to work on this stuff last night, but I'll do my best to answer some of the question posed since yesterday.

1) CPU temps were higher, but not @ 100 degrees, while GPU was idle.
2) I dont know about the CPU voltage fluctuating but its certainly something I'll check - how do I do that? From my limited knowledge, I should check the manual for reference voltages, then use the bios or CPUid to check the actual voltage to the CPU while each of the cards is installed?
3) Apparently the card I have actually has a bit of a rep for exhausting some nasty hot air into the case so, while I'm tempted to agree with those of you speculating about a voltage or other problem, its quite possible that it really is just a case heat problem. (still... +25 degrees to the CPU seems crazy, really)
4) I have 5 case fans installed: 1 side intake fan above the GPU, 1 front intake fan low down in front of the HDD enclosure, 1 top exhaust fan, and 2 rear exhaust fans.
5) I dont remember the model of my PC case but it isnt an amazing case, its full tower but a cheaper brand (I was short on cash when I first bought :( ). I will try to get the exact model once I get home tonight.

6) (is an edit, i missed a couple questions). No overclocking of either GPU or CPU, nothing non-standard about the config essentially. CPU is an i7 920 c0, no intergrated graphics.

Thanks again for the input all! Will do my best to test and answer questions ASAP.

Cheers,

Last edited:

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
The case cooling seems more than adequate but something strange is definately occurring. The GTX560 load temp seems low to me, suggesting that the case cooling really is good enough or that this is a part of the puzzle. I'm perplexed that the CPU idle temp has gone up 20C too. Can i suggest checking the GPU utilisation as well as the temps? Also check the CPU utilisation when idle too to confirm it actually is idle.

It's as if the CPU is working harder, which it would with a better Graphics card under 3D load... but not at idle, while the GPU doesn't seem to be working as hard as it can. What power supply do you have and are all the connectors seated properly? Do any look damaged? Can you split the load more evenly across the available rails than it is now?

Have you tried loading defaults/clearing CMOS to rule out BIOS settings? What procedure are you using when changing from one gfx card to the other as far as driver installation is concerned?

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008

I have a Hyper 212+ and I'm very pleased with it - especially since it only cost me $24.00 on sale at Microcenter. But be advised that unless your case has a way of getting at the bottom of the motherboard (mine does not) you will have to remove the motherboard from the case to install this cooler. That's so that you can mount it's back plate on the back of the motherboard. Of course you are going to have this problem with many aftermarket coolers.

One other idea: Try running the system with the case open to see if that makes any difference. If the problem is high temps inside the case then I would think the temps would go down with the case open - perhaps with a fan blowing air in. Then you could confirm that that was the issue before having to pull your motherboard to install a new cpu cooler.

-Bones-

Jan 14, 2013
I've recently had the same problem with my i7 860 after installing a GTX 660 on my P55 mobo, replacing my old HD5850 graphics card.

CPU temps ran 15 degrees hotter on Idle (around 45) and 25 degrees hotter running farcry 3, reaching up to 76 degrees on heavy load.

Then I discovered this forum and on the off chance it might be airflow problem I moved the 660 to a PCI slot further down the mobo closer to my PSU and away from the CPU and heatsink (closer to front intake fan and rear exhaust fans) And its dropped significantly, CPU is still 43 idle but 60 degrees running Farcry max settings.

No voltage changes or spending money on new cooling parts - just rearranging components for better airflow.

I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.