Question CPU mining - "Raptorium". Now also "Avian".

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Guy is on track to ROI like 6x 3900X, 3950X, and 5950X or something like that, in only a few months! If you want to buy that $750 12/16-core Ryzen, buy it, and mine on it, to pay itself off!

Watch for higher CPU prices on multi-core CPUs too? Right when Alder Lake and DDR5 is coming out? Just great...

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Etherium going POS and the Euro power crisis should be the perfect storm to put the brakes on home mining. I don't know if it will limit the warehouses of Bitcoin ASIC miners.

BarrowChillin

Nov 19, 2022
Hello all, newbie to CPU mining and looking for some input on the mining rig I'm throwing together. I understand mining these days isn't going to make me money at this time, but I'm laid up at home for perhaps the next year because of a an injury. So I figure, spec mining would be a great hobby, that could payoff in the end. Ok the rig I'm putting together is: 2 x Xeon E5-2686 V4 18-Core Processors, X99 Motherboard LGA 20113 Dual CPU Support DDR4, 4 x DDR4 8GB 2400 MHz, Kingston 128GB NVMe SSD - M.2 2280, Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+, MSI Geforce 210 1024 MB DDR3 GPU, 2 x ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Black CPU Cooler, Transparent Acrylic Base and some odds and ends. Everything came in at $600

I'm looking at adding additional builds every couple months, so my question is whether this is going to be a good starting point, or are there better options that I should consider.

Thanks in advance
Dave

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Well, for one thing, that site you referenced, hashrates.com, is focusing on XMR/Monero instead of Raptoreum. But, fundamentally, Raptoreum is essentially near valueless. You'd do better just investing spare pocket change that you find in your sofa to buy it instead of mining it because of how much electricity it will cost you to do so. XRM has a lot more value (over $100 a coin vs. raptoreum at less than a cent). You can possibly make money on mining XMR/Monero with your CPU if you have very cheap electricity, but you have to exclude the purchase price of the equipment that you buy.

Long term, Raptoreum peaked in value at the end of 2021 and has basically tanked and flat lined since then. XMR/Monaro followed the general coin market, but has retained some value and has, of recent, been trending slightly higher. If I was you, and I absolutely had to coin mine, I wouldn't go the big chunky server route. I'd be buying the now bargain priced 5600 processors from AMD, the cheapest A300/500 board that you can find to run them, a tiny, efficient power supply, the cheapest video card that you can find to put up a picture and let it boot, and the cheapest possible tiny case you can fit it all in and start mining xmr with that. Just understand that you're just throwing your money away right now. You won't mine more value than the cost of your electricity.

But, in your case, if it was me, I wouldn't mine. I'd be finding a fiduciary, set up an investment plan to invest whatever extra money you have coming in, and try to build up a degree of passive investment income. Interest rates make the bond market at least somewhat interesting (though, yields are a basket case right now). Safer REITs are also a decent place to start. But, I'm just some guy on the internet, so find a fiduciary that can handle getting you started.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, for one thing, that site you referenced, hashrates.com, is focusing on XMR/Monero instead of Raptoreum. But, fundamentally, Raptoreum is essentially near valueless. You'd do better just investing spare pocket change that you find in your sofa to buy it instead of mining it because of how much electricity it will cost you to do so. XRM has a lot more value (over $100 a coin vs. raptoreum at less than a cent). You can possibly make money on mining XMR/Monero with your CPU if you have very cheap electricity, but you have to exclude the purchase price of the equipment that you buy.

It's more complicated than that. XMR has a very, very high difficulty. Just because it carries a higher price/token doesn't mean it's automatically more profitable. You actually have to look at your own hashrate on a given algo and then compare it to difficulty and see what your earnings will be. Right now it's rough for both XMR and RTM.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Oh, no doubt. The question in my mind is more of, if you successfully actually mine something, is the thing that you have actually valuable? Raptoreum has all the hallmarks of a pump and dump trash coin. It got a lot of early astroturfed hype, shot up quickly on value, saw a lot of early sales and then plummeted rapidly. It died long before the current general market coin bust. It has very little actual market take up for practical use.

Given its basement level value, you would be far, far better off investing that first $600 dollars directly in the coin to buy, rough estimate half a millionn or more of them. On the exceedingly remote chance that its value actually goes up by any appreciable amount, you could make a quick fortune and never pay a penny of electricty. If it further tanks, you're out just the original $600 and no more.

Instead, you can invest in a mining rig and mine xmr. It'll cost you electricty, but, you eventually get something of value (at least, value that survived the coin crash). There's a reasonable chance for you to cash out and get something back. Its also far more broadly listed on the surviving exchanges, so you will have more choices on where to go.

As for the posters setup, each of those processors will be below 8MHs. The 5600x should be north of 9MHs. Tiny 5600x boxes should be more cost effective, and, with the recent drop in the cost of the 5900x, boxes with those should do notably better on investment return than the dual xeon box he's looking at, both in power draw and in up front cost. The monkey wrench here is that we don't know how well the 13700k and 13600k do with respect to hash rate and power. Those large L2 values could be a game changer as it seems the magic number for XMR was 2MB per core. Alder lake made good improvements over rocket and comet, but still lagged Zen a bit. This might be different.

Either way, a good bond investment setup will beat any mining setup in the near term for anyone that doesn't have free hardware and power.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall