CPU Lapping

Mist

Feb 19, 2003
I'm running a 1.3ghz Tualatin Celeron, o/c to 1.5ghz, but my stated ambition at the time was to have it running at 1.6ghz.

So, to acheive this, I'm tempted to do a bit of CPU Lapping on it, then put a better cooler on it.

I've been reading a few sites about this technique, so feel pretty confident about doing it, except for one thing, namely that when you look at the heatsink on a Tualatin, there is a small hole at the left hand bottom corner. I don't know what it's for, since heat transfer compound probably goes into it anyway when you add a cooler to it, but I'm a bit concerned about any small particles of metal going into this during the lapping process.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

I can't find reference to this wherever I've looked.

Cheers.

Michael.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
That small hole is a vent to keep the pressure from building up.
Don't worry about dust and particles going in the hole.
I've lapped 2 P4's and haven't had any problems with either.

Mist

Feb 19, 2003
LOL!!

Like my signature says, "He Who Dares, Wins!"

It's running very stable at 1.5 at the moment and the CPUs are so inexpensive, then if anything goes wrong, it won't break the bank to get a new one!

In fact, I might get a 1.4 and go for a 1.7Ghz o/c!!

Chhers.

Michael.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
On P4's I just take off that stupid IHS. It yeilds results clearly superior to any state of the art lapping job.

But I never messed around with a Tualatin being I never had one... if you try it I am anxiously awaiting you results :)