CPU heatsink on a graphics card (INSANE temps!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGuyMJP

Nov 4, 2013
Hi everyone, I have always thought that GPU heatsinks are, well, a little inefficient. The air can't properly 'flow' anywhere, and they're noisy, small, and really a bit restricted simply because of where GPUs fit in a case. D:

With this in mind, I decided to do some experiments to find a better way of cooling the thing, and this is what I came up with...

The temps are INSANE!

CPU cooler on GPU - YouTube

The PLAN is that I make a compartment for the GPU that's basically like a wind tunnel with a fan at each end.

This card's TDP is 170w, so I think it'll easily work for something like a GTX 680 etc.

Please review the AnandTech Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=60552

5) Spamming will not be permitted. On topic references to your personal commercial matters are permitted on a limited basis and at moderator discretion. Multiple quick nef posts, posts designed to generate traffic to specific web sites, and flooding the Forums will not be tolerated.

You're allowed to have a link in your signature, however.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGuyMJP

Nov 4, 2013
Why? :( I'm quite excited about this idea, so I wanted to share it. I mean, if I've broken any rules, please let me know, I honestly did not intend to do so.

It's on topic, of interest, and I'm gaining nothing from sharing it here, so I don't see why you think that.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
No, you didn't break any rules I don't believe. I will say, that was pretty interesting, that's for sure. Nice experiment. I think the size of the cooler and the lack of VRM / memory cooling would be issues - have thought about doing something like an H50 mod instead? That's actually very common and should be as effective without taking so much space.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah I would think using some cheap closed loop system like the H50 would give you similar results without the hassle induced by having to use a pice ribbon.

Definitely would want to get some sinks on the vrms at the very least.

TheGuyMJP

Nov 4, 2013
Yeah, cooling the memory and voltage regulators is the next step. I'll be more difficult though.

I think I'm going to wait until I have a better GPU before starting experiments for cooling the other components... there's no point modding a graphics card like this unless it's going to last a long time.

Interesting idea with the H50... that hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure how loud the pump is on that thing. I'm aiming for silence so the fewer noise sources the better, but it might be worth looking into!

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Why? :( I'm quite excited about this idea, so I wanted to share it. I mean, if I've broken any rules, please let me know, I honestly did not intend to do so.

It's on topic, of interest, and I'm gaining nothing from sharing it here, so I don't see why you think that.

Don't worry I don't believe there's anything wrong with it.

Cool test anyway, interesting that it works and works pretty effectively.
:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.