CPU Governor to Performance in Pop! OS Permanently

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Is there a file I can edit, an app I can use, or a command that I can use at startup to set the CPU governor to performance in Pop! OS? I google around for ways to accomplish this but they don't stick permanently as after I reboot, the CPU governor is set back to schedutil mode, even if running this command at startup: echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor. Sure, I can just use the gamemoderun command for each app I want to run with the CPU in performance mode but I want my CPU to be in performance mode globally in Linux. If not, is there a way to have gamemode run at the global level in Linux, so I don't have to do it for each game or benchmark. At least in Windows, the power management has the option to set the minimum processor state and that setting does stick after a reboot. In Linux I'm doing too much work to accomplish simple things such as this.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
none of this s persistent no matter the approach. Just make a cron to add it post boot or maybe there's a way to insert it on the EFI variables.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
If Windows can do this, should Linux be able to do this as well? I thought Linux was more tweakable than Windows and one of the benefits of using Linux is the tweakability?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Linux is my go-to for reliability and performance. The issue is the path isn't persistent across reboots. It allows for a possibly CPU change or other hw to change and be initialized on boot.

Windows applies the performance profile after boot. Windows also deals with hw changes differently and uses generic drivers that are decades old until you update them.

What's the need for the performance mode other than just letting Linux be dynamic?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well many years ago I had Retro Pi installed in Ubuntu for some retro gaming emulation, and I was getting stutters during panning, and had to manually set the CPU governor to performance mode with some commands that worked back then permanently to get rid of the stutters. For gaming performance I don't want the CPU for even a millisecond to be in a power saving mode while some CPU intensive process is occurring. I wonder if there is some way to have gamemode turned on at the global level permanently in Linux? Sure I could run all my games through Lutris and gamemode can be run globally through Lutris but that's only globally through Lutris and not globally at the OS level.