CPU fan weird issue

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
As usual, we need more info to be able to provide a good answer.

Is this a new issue? Have you tried plugging the fan into a different motherboard header? What fan are we talking about? Have you tried a different fan?

It could be a fan that is dying, a bad bearing, a motherboard fan header developing problems, your custom fan profile in your BIOS.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try disabling "Smart Fan" in the BIOS/UEFI. That should cause the fan to run at full-speed, all of the time. Start HWMonitor, and monitor the fan RPMs over time. If it drops to zero, then you know that either the fan / bearings, or the fan header on the mobo, is going bad.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
IT could be the bearing inside the fan has dried out.
One of the most common deaths in a fan, and one that is typically ran in a horizontal position, as the bearing lube will seep down, and dust will collect in its place.

Try spinning it by hand, do you notice resistance?
You should have almost no resistance, if you notice resistance, the bearing is done, you got dust in the fan, and under most situations its not worth it to relube it, as it will just repeat the problem over.

There are certain bearings which are more durable in the horizontal possition, but under most conditions fans like to run vertically.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Here is the strangest part only happens when I restart PC not when I shutdown then boot back up. Is that possible? What could it be then? Thanks

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I would have thought the loss of the tach signal from the CPU fan would cause a reaction from the BIOS, like shutting down or an alarm?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
in your bios... try changing the fan mode from PMW to DC. Maybe some weird signal not getting through to fan ...