cpu fan broken

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
hi i have i5 2500k and i just noticed that my temperature is in between 78-98max under normal condition i need a new fan suggest a fan which is simple to fit not like this intel thanks

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Unless your fan is making unhealthy noises and/or isn't moving, I doubt it's the fan on its own that's the problem. Is the heatsink dusty? A lot of the time a little carpet-like layer of dust forms between the fan and the top of the heatsink blades. Vacuum-clean it out, job done.

Has this problem recently come along (ie. was the CPU temp normal for some time before)? Is the CPU overclocked?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
2 *pins*? Do you mean screws?

In case English is your second language -
Screw:
4157.jpg

CPU fan plug:
496_021.jpg

CPU fan socket on motherboard:
4001152_12.jpg

Which bit did you break? Because if it's two pins from the CPU fan socket on the motherboard, then you can only hope that you've got another fan header that you can plug the CPU fan in to, and that your motherboard allows you to tell it to ignore the CPU fan readings.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
2 *pins*? Do you mean screws?

In case English is your second language -
Screw:
4157.jpg

CPU fan plug:
496_021.jpg

CPU fan socket on motherboard:
4001152_12.jpg

Which bit did you break? Because if it's two pins from the CPU fan socket on the motherboard, then you can only hope that you've got another fan header that you can plug the CPU fan in to, and that your motherboard allows you to tell it to ignore the CPU fan readings.
sorry for my english there are total 4 screws of the fan not pins sorry i have broken 2 of thm so now suggest me a new fan please

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
sorry for my english there are total 4 screws of the fan not pins sorry i have broken 2 of thm so now suggest me a new fan please

No problem. If you have broken two screws, why not just use the other two but diagonal to each other?

Also, if you wish to buy a new fan, check that it comes with the required screws. CPU fans on their own are not common. Chassis fans are commonplace though, though again I would not assume that if they come with screws, those screws will fit your heatsink.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I think it's also possible the OP is entirely correct when he says "pins", if he's using the stock intel heatsink - which would explain the 78c idle temp.

OP, where are you located and how much are you willing to spend? In the US you can buy this and it should cool just as well if not better than your current fan before it was broken. If you think that's too cheap, let me know.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Raduque has a good point. tushardehra, is this what you're referring to?:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
its out of my budget sir its 3300rupees my budget only 1000 rupees i m from india

I searched eBay India for 'intel 1155 stock heatsink' and found one for 289 rupees. I also searched for 'sandy bridge' rather than '1155' and saw another one there.

Of course, you don't need an Intel-branded heatsink to replace yours with, but I'm very familiar with their method of installation so that's why I looked for that first, whereas alternative manufacturers' installation methods may be more complicated, and there may be compatibility issues with your board/case.

How did you break your first one? I've written an installation guide for the Intel one in case you need some pointers.

Last edited:

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
I searched eBay India for 'intel 1155 stock heatsink' and found one for 289 rupees. I also searched for 'sandy bridge' rather than '1155' and saw another one there.

Of course, you don't need an Intel-branded heatsink to replace yours with, but I'm very familiar with their method of installation so that's why I looked for that first, whereas alternative manufacturers' installation methods may be more complicated, and there may be compatibility issues with your board/case.

How did you break your first one? I've written an installation guide for the Intel one in case you need some pointers.
thanks i purchased intel again so can you guide me how to properly install and uninstall it without breaking of course thanks :)