CPU Core question

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
How can I tell how many CPU cores are being used by my CPU folding slot and work queue? The Estimated PPD is about 13000. Is that a single core or all 8 I have enabled right now? The GPU does 10x that amount but If I can get 13000 PPD for each of the 16 cores, I would like to figure out how that is done. Otherwise, I am just going to remove the CPU.

Thanks!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
How can I tell how many CPU cores are being used by my CPU folding slot and work queue? The Estimated PPD is about 13000. Is that a single core or all 8 I have enabled right now? The GPU does 10x that amount but If I can get 13000 PPD for each of the 16 cores, I would like to figure out how that is done. Otherwise, I am just going to remove the CPU.

Thanks!
Look at the cpu usage. I bet its 100%. 13k for 8 cores sounds about right. CPU's get terrible ppd compared to GPU's on F@H.

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
I've turned my CPU folding off so the cores can help them with the GPU stuff. Saves a bit of hassle in the long run for me, especially if something ends up awry. As Mark said, the PPD for CPUs is terrible compared to GPUs, and the efficiency is quite low by comparison. Would rather run a cheap 75 W GPU over a CPU trying to run at max.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
How can I tell how many CPU cores are being used by my CPU folding slot and work queue?
What CPU percentage is fahcore_a7 using according to task manager?

What is FAHControl showing as slot name? "CPU:-1" or "CPU:a_positive_number"? If the latter, it's the thread count.

The CPU slot should not use all available cores. That would decrease performance of the GPU slot, especially if it is a large NVidia GPU. BTW, it is not just that the GPU driving thread likes to have a core or at least a hardware thread for itself. It also needs some bandwidth of the CPU's memory controller. We have seen GPU Folding performance go down when RAM access intensive applications are running.

Earlier today I posted my thoughts on CPU slot config in the race thread.