blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
Building a gaming PC w following general specs:
Fractal Arc Midi R2,
I7 4770k (haswell),
MSI 787-G45,
MSI GeForce 1660 TI

New question:
Am I going to have any issue with the Deepcool Netwin v2 dual fan setup interfering with the RAM location/spacing on my MSI 787-G45?
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/z87-g45-gaming.html
https://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2014-03/7_813.shtml

Edit: this part is closed:
Trying to figure out if I should get a Noctua. I havent built a PC in a long time and used to use Hyper 212. I have never really over clocked but I think I'm interested in playing with overclocking. It seems like hyper 212 is $33, Noctua 12S is like $60, and the Noctua 15S is 79 on Amazon right now. The price difference between 12S and 15S isn't much.

I am not sure if I am thinking about this the right way. I think I need to future proof overclocking because I'm not really sure how much I will be able to overclock this system. From what I have read, Hyper 212 will get me to 4.3? Does that seem about right? (I am not sure what "light" overclocking means but Hyper 212 is marketed that way). Whether I can get to 4.5 will depend on the "silicon lottery" , i.e., whether my chip can inherently get there or not, and in that case, I will definitely need a Noctua 15S? Does that sound right? I can buy the hyper 212 black edition at my local bestbuy if im happy with getting to 4.3. But if I really want to see if I can make it to 4.5, I need to buy the Noctua 15S?

Edit: Noctua has a compatibility listing which says all coolers are good with my case

Also, can I assume that the cooler will fit in my case since a Noctua D15 fits in my case according to Noctua compatibility tool?

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
There isn't much middle ground in air coolers. IMO, the lower end bang/buck champ today is the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 V2. That is $20 on Amazon, and it cools as well as the $60 Noctua U12S.

So it's either the $20 Deepcool to save money, or the $80 Noctua 15S for more performance.

So do you spend $20 on a budget option and accept any possible limitation, or spend $80 in hopes of squeaking out a bit more performance. In your situation where you are trying to OC an older 4 Core, I would go for the budget option.

I already bought the Gammaxx 400 for a future build, and plan to just live with any slight loss in clock-speed necessary, rather than spend 4X as much on the D15s to squeak out a few more percent performance.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Yeah, don't be fooled with that cheesy "deepcool" name. It's good to let my old Athlon 860k to hit 4.5 GHz and now it's keeping fully-load Athlon 845 under 55°C with its fan running under 800rpm.

Keep in mind that I'm running original 400. 400v2 should be better according to reviews out there.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
There isn't much middle ground in air coolers. IMO, the lower end bang/buck champ today is the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 V2. That is $20 on Amazon, and it cools as well as the $60 Noctua U12S.

So it's either the $20 Deepcool to save money, or the $80 Noctua 15S for more performance.

So do you spend $20 on a budget option and accept any possible limitation, or spend $80 in hopes of squeaking out a bit more performance. In your situation where you are trying to OC an older 4 Core, I would go for the budget option.

I already bought the Gammaxx 400 for a future build, and plan to just live with any slight loss in clock-speed necessary, rather than spend 4X as much on the D15s to squeak out a few more percent performance.
So I did a little digging about whether is any middle ground. The battle in the middle ground seems to be scythe mugen versus artic freezer 34 eduo sports.

Seems like there is no definitive answer about which is better between these 2:

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
I have a tube of artic silver 3 and a brand new (still sealed in packaging) artic silver 7 which I probably bought 5+ years ago. I assume that the artic silver 3 (previously used) should probably be thrown away. is the silver 7 still good? I have read about artic silver expiring (degrading?) and wasnt sure if I should get a fresh or newer batch.

also im looking to get an aftermarket cooler like an eduo sports, scythe mugen, or deepcool gammamax 400. Do any of these come with appropriate thermal paste?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
So I did a little digging about whether is any middle ground. The battle in the middle ground seems to be scythe mugen versus artic freezer 34 eduo sports.

Mugen doesn't actually cool better than the $20 Deepcool:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/scythe-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler,5083-2.html

Mugen is quieter though. But around here it's more than 3X the price of the Deepcool. I didn't consider 3X the price "middle ground", especially when it doesn't actually cool better. With dual fans the Freezer 34 Duo probably cools the best of the three, but again it was more than 3X the price.

If I was going to spend that much I would just go to the Noctual D15S which is about 4X the price, but is near the pinnacle of air cooling.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
Mugen doesn't actually cool better than the $20 Deepcool:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/scythe-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler,5083-2.html

Mugen is quieter though. But around here it's more than 3X the price of the Deepcool. I didn't consider 3X the price "middle ground", especially when it doesn't actually cool better. With dual fans the Freezer 34 Duo probably cools the best of the three, but again it was more than 3X the price.

If I was going to spend that much I would just go to the Noctual D15S which is about 4X the price, but is near the pinnacle of air cooling.
I thought that the Freezer Duo was $50-ish... I figured $50 was halfway between $20 (Deepcool) and $80 (Noctua D15).
What do you think of Neptwin at 42.99 at newegg?

Interesting review here comparing Neptwin, esports duo and Mugen:

"The mugen 5 is 890g with 5 heatpipes and 1 fan, (I quite like this cooler), and the freezer 34 esports duo is 764g with 4 heatpipes and 2 fans, the neptwin is 1100g with 6 heatpipes and 2 fans, its quite a bit heavier than the other two heatsinks, which is exactly why it's a better heatsink. It's also a 6 heatpipe dual tower style cooler like the unbeaten noctua D15, these have historically performed better than their single tower counter parts. The D15S is actually only 980g.
I think the duo is better than the mugen but more expensive than single fan, this is probably because it comes with better thermal paste and fans, even though the mugen 5 is probably the better heatsink on it's own. These two are probably what's going to be recommended to you, because they are very good, especially for their size, but if your case can fit it the neptwin will perform better for cheaper, and even has more room to perform even better with better fans and paste getting close to D15 level performance for much cheaper."

Also, I see a lot of people complaining about conflicts with memory spacing because of the 2 fan layout. Any idea if im going to have any issues with my board (MSI 787-G45)?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I thought that the Freezer Duo was $50-ish... I figured $50 was halfway between $20 (Deepcool) and $80 (Noctua D15).
What do you think of Neptwin at 42.99 at newegg?

I'm in Canada (I mentioned "around here"). I paid $25 for the DC Gammaxx 400, Freezer Duo was $80, and Noctua D15 was $100, making the Freezer duo too close to the D15 to consider it. So from my perspective it was either the Gammaxx 400 or the Noctua D15.

Neptwin is kind of annoying that only one fan is PWM, and has more issues fitting. Still if it was a good price I might have given it a shot, but it wasn't at the time, I bought the Gammaxx 400.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
Please stop creating new threads to ask about potential heatsinks. This is twice now I've
had to merge them. You can use this thread for any additional questions you have.

You also cannot remove moderator comments/warnings.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited:

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I would get a cooler that doesn't interfere with ram at all. You may change ram or MB, but a nice cooler should last awhile. The Fuma 2 does have some good reviews. Not sure about the mugen's review from tomshardware, but tweaktown shows it performing very well. This review has the Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 rev. B along with several others in some nice graphs, https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9...-System-Setup-Thermal-Tests-and-Noise-Results