CPU cooler for Z170I Pro Gaming and Node 202

Optimus Rhyme

Feb 3, 2016
Hey Guys,

Bit of a back story here. Around 15 years ago I used to love building PCs, but since then I've gotten into console gaming and Macs so I haven't owned a Windows based computer in quite a while. I've always had an interest to get back into it, but avoided it until now.

I picked up a system that was built for me after I selected the parts. Saved me the time and only cost a tiny bit more. I've got a Node 202 case with an Asus Z170I Pro gaming Motherboard and an i7 6700. The case is small, but exactly how I wanted it. I've got a 980ti running in there with 2 120mm fans keeping it cool, but the CPU runs a bit hotter than I'd like. On idle it may be around 30 or so, but under load it can hover around 70 or so. I'd like to get that down a bit.

When I ordered the machine, they had said they'd add in an Arctic Freezer 11 LP for the processor. After they started to build it they let me know the cooler wouldn't fit due to the DDR4 memory chosen. Not fully sure why, but it does look pretty tight.

The case can fit a cooler with a height of 56mm, but what about the rest of the case. Does anyone know of a cooler that would fit this motherboard and case without an issue?

Optimus Rhyme

Feb 3, 2016
I've looked at the Noctua, but would it be any cooler? I know the stock cooler isn't that good, but it's not noise it's the temperature.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
the CPU runs a bit hotter than I'd like. On idle it may be around 30 or so, but under load it can hover around 70 or so.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those temperatures, you don't need a new cooler unless it's too noisy or something. Even 80C under load is completely fine. Idle temperatures don't matter.

Maybe you're used to AMD's lower temperature tolerances? Intel can run much hotter with no issue whatsoever

Optimus Rhyme

Feb 3, 2016
Absolutely nothing wrong with those temperatures, you don't need a new cooler unless it's too noisy or something. Even 80C under load is completely fine. Idle temperatures don't matter.

Maybe you're used to AMD's lower temperature tolerances? Intel can run much hotter with no issue whatsoever

I always used Intel back in the day. It's not really too noisy, but just seems a bit high considering I'm not overclocking it. It just seems to me that having a processor run at 75 C for an hour while playing a game may not be the best thing for it.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I always used Intel back in the day. It's not really too noisy, but just seems a bit high considering I'm not overclocking it. It just seems to me that having a processor run at 75 C for an hour while playing a game may not be the best thing for it.

Don't worry about it, 75C isn't going to do anything to your CPU even if you run it 24/7 at that temperature for years. This is especially true when you're not overclocking. Typically overclocking involves overvolting, and it's really the combination of voltage and temperature that can potentially harm CPUs - e.g. heavy overvolting with frequent 90C temps might get you in trouble during the CPU's usable lifetime.

Last edited: