Question CPU cooler be horizontal or vertical ?

retab12332

May 7, 2020
Should the airflow be going from bottom to top, or front to back of the case ? Cooler is Be-Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Last edited:

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I would argue that both are right. From bottom front to top back should normally be the main flow. In my situation, with the computer inside a desk cubby, it's even more important. :p

edit: I'm not how sure your title matches your question though.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Should the airflow be going from bottom to top, or front to back of the case ?
As @Kenmitch said, front to back.

Depends on the case, but most commonly, front-to-back works best because there is typically a rear exhaust fan near the top of the back of the case. Installing the CPU cooler bottom to top in such a case would make airflow more turbulent, reducing cooler performance.

That changes for instance if you have a case with bottom intake fans, front intake fans, top exhaust fan(s), rear exhaust fan, in which case you could probably put the CPU cooler in whatever direction you wish!

Reactions: retab12332

retab12332

May 7, 2020
As @Kenmitch said, front to back.

Depends on the case, but most commonly, front-to-back works best because there is typically a rear exhaust fan near the top of the back of the case. Installing the CPU cooler bottom to top in such a case would make airflow more turbulent, reducing cooler performance.

That changes for instance if you have a case with bottom intake fans, front intake fans, top exhaust fan(s), rear exhaust fan, in which case you could probably put the CPU cooler in whatever direction you wish!
No top nor bottom fans, just 1 mid-positioned front, 1 top-positioned back.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
What cooler is it? My Mugen 5 can only be mounted with air flowing front to back. I suppose I could put the fan on the other side for back to front, but no way to get bottom to top air flow.