CPU choice for Mini ITX media box

jtac84

Feb 13, 2009
Hey guys,
I want to build a small Mini ITX box to connect to my TV which will be loaded with video (non HD) and audio. I have a few parts laying around which I would like to utilize in this build if possible, to save some money. I have the following: DVDRW (non SATA) and 250g HDD (non SATA). If these two parts can be utilized, then I"d like to.

Aside from that, my decisions are:
-Case (recommendations? APEX looks decent)
-CPU (ATOM processor board, $38 single Core Sempron (new AM3 45W), or A2 X2 (around $65)[/b][/b]-Memory required? 2g stick I presume?
Video: Onboard if it will suffice.

The Sempron for the price seems tempting, but I am not sure if any reasonably priced Mini ITX board will support it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
I just jumped into mini-itx, so here's what I've learned so far.

CPU: Athlon X2 4850e
motherboard: Zotac GF-8200-C-E
case: Apex MI-008

I bought the Apex case months ago, and it was the one with vents on only 1 side, the side closest to the PS/2 keyboard/mouse connectors. The Zotac board uses an Nvidia chipset that gets VERY warm, even while idling. I've seen it idle past 40C while I'm sitting in the BIOS screen! Meanwhile, the CPU idled at around 30C, which seemed more normal. When I stress test both cores, the Nvidia chipset temps would creep up to 60C before I stopped my tests.

The main problem with my build was that the Nvidia chipset was towards the side of the case with no vents, the side where the expansion slot is. As a result, the heat simply sits and hangs around on that side of the case with nowhere to go. I was prepared for this, because I had ordered a cheapo Masscool PCI slot cooler to work as an exhaust fan. But even with the Masscool PCI cooler exhausting hot air as fast as it can, it wasn't enough to counter the amount of heat generated by the chipset under CPU load. In fact, I could feel the heat when I put my hand on the case cover. The only way I could cool the chipset down was to remove the cover, which slowly brought the temps down to 55C, and then aim a 9 inch desktop fan directly at the chipset, which brought the temps down to 42C while still under CPU load.

My build would probably be OK for low use, but I'm challenging myself to build a mini ITX computer than can withstand extended full CPU load.

The more recent reviews have said that the newer version of this case has vents on both sides, and at $40, I ordered one and it literally was delivered to me just now as I compose this comment. So I'll retry when I have time.

So the lessons I've learned so far: Watch for hot chipsets. If you're not planning on stressing the CPUs much in normal use, a warm chipset would probably be ok. And watch for case air flow.