CPU Bus speed is changing erratically (~0-150 mhz)

Suyer

Sep 14, 2017
The short of the issue is that my CPU bus speed is changing erratically all over the place (and my CPU clocks are changing with it). The best explanation is a gif of CPUz; It's about 30 seconds long:

https://i.imgur.com/PYa9PKK.gifv

This is at idle, with no games or heavy CPU load. I've confirmed that I can see the same thing happening in HWinfo as well. I don't think this is an artifact from CPUz itself, since whenever this is happening, my computer gets very laggy; all menus get slower and choppy, and attempting to play any game will give me ~10 fps. GPU clocks seem normal.

The issue occurs sporadically, but once it starts happening it doesn't go away for a while. Restarting doesn't seem to consistently fix the issue (one time I restarted 5 times in a row with no change to the issue).

My googling efforts have mostly yielded posts where people are asking about their bus speed bouncing between 96-99 mhz -- in my case, it's much more severe, going between 0 to as high as 200 (once). The solution to the aforementioned 96-99 mhz issue seems to be uninstalling Hyper-V (which I don't have installed).

Unsure what is going on here, any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Maybe my CPU is just going bad?

My computer specs are:

CPU: i7 4770k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
GPU: MSI Aero OC GTX 1080ti
Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 1tb
PSU: Seasonic 850KM

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thottling? What are you using for cooling? Have you checked the "pins" on your cooler, or the mounting in general? Checked the temps?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Does your bios look like this? Check your values against these or load Optimized defaults..

B0B.jpg

130702152956-jpg.60423

Last edited:

Suyer

Sep 14, 2017
@VirtualLarry I don't think this is thermal throttling. C-states and throttling are done via the multiplier, but the bus speed never changes. Additionally, my temps are very good, sitting at ~45C under load (water-cooled).

Could be something wrong with the CPU I suppose, pins or such, I'll check this out over the weekend when I have a chance to sit down and inspect.

@Burpo Yep, it does look like--just yesterday I reset my bios to defaults to see if that would help; unfortunately it did not :(