Cp tunnel

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Not exactly pc related, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Been having some numbness/tingling in my pinky finger. The oly thing I can attribute it to is my left had controlling the direction keys. Just an FYI, gamers be careful. I'm an fps'er.

Anyone else had this experience? Going to my doc tomorrow. God I hope it's not cpt synd.

Blueoak

Dec 13, 2001
Have you been leaning on your elbow and blocking blood flow to your pinky finger? It happens to me sometimes.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
The pinkie is a different nerve then the carpel tunnel that runs up the outside of your arm, but you can still get repetitive motion injury to it. Numbness could also be a sign of "white finger" when the blood vessels are damaged by vibration and it is quite common for carpel tunnel sufferers to have multiple problems including tennis elbow. Your doctor is the only one who can really diagnose it, but the fact that it is just the pinkie right now is a good sign.

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
I'm a rightie, so this got me out of no-where. But thinking back, like I said its been my left hand who's had the rough part of gaming, reaching to the other side and playing at not the optimal angle. Frankly, after all this, I might have sworn off gaming, aside from the iPad and some racing games I cold convert to a controller.

Very bummed, I love me some l4d and cod. Don't hate me.. :)

No ideas of this condition, but hope I've caught it in time. Word to the wise, take a break after each level.. Seriously.

Feb 4, 2009
I need to preface this by saying I know little about this subject and have zero health care training.
I had a similar problem last year (of course when I didn't have health care) my pinky and other finger next to it would get very cold and have trouble gripping things. I changed the way I type (keep arm and hands level) and streached my hands a TON (pull fingers back and forward multiple times per day plus wriggle wrist around) problem seemed to solve itself after several months.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Pinky and outside of ring finger numbness is usually caused ulnar nerve compression. The armrests on your chair can cause pressure on the nerve at the elbow.

It also could be coming from your neck, is there any tenderness around the C7 vertebrae? (C7 is the large bump at the base of your neck where the cervical and thoracic spine meet)

Im not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Get a better chair and make sure you are perfectly situated relative to your desk. It helps a lot.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Just take 600mg of ibuprophen next time. Its a feedback loop where the irritated nerve causes swelling which in turn irritates the nerve. You can't take large doses of ibuprophen forever, but the trick is to stop the swelling before it gets out of hand (pun intended).

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Doc said its cubital tunnel syndrome, or at least symptoms of it. He suggested ibuprofen for some relief. Also give it a few weeks, and if it hasn't improved or gotten worse, they can do some tests. I've googled it and am going to try some of the stretching and excersizes. All the while staying far away from my pc chair...

Thanks for all the input..

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I definitely had this same problem caused by contorting my pinky to enable different moves while playing games. It really helped when I bought a wrist pad, as that allows me to type without pain now.