Coworker getting a new car, stang vs gti

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by T2urtle, Nov 14, 2012.

1. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

A coworker is looking to replace his stage 2 sti. He wants to get higher mpg then his 19 mpg highway. He wants an automatic. Something with a small touch of sport but a daily driver. He says he is getting a little older and want a quiet and stock car.Ballpark of 25k.

He hates the normal suggestion of accord/Camry/ civic.

Originally he wanted the camaro v6. We kinda threw around ideas of 30 mpg cars with good power. The gti and stang was first thing that comes to mind. He likes all 3. Gti is a little more useful. We also had used c6 vette we crossed paths with.

These cars are all over the place. I personally love the stang at the 25k mark. Heard good things on the v6. Its not the old joke when u here v6 stang anymore.

So far he has only driven the vette and loves it. But might be too much car

2. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Wow, yeah the Mustang would be my choice out of those two. A V6 Mustang will not be the same performance as a Stage 2 STI though. Being light on the throttle with the new 5.0 (maybe a lightly-used '11 for $25kish?) would give decent (better than his 19 highway for sure!) fuel economy with performance just as good.

Is this in an area with tons of ice/snow? If so, does he have a beater or 2nd car (or parking for it?). RWD 400hp Mustang is going to want some all-seasons or winter tires to supplement the summer tires if you want to use it year-round. The traction control is fairly good, you can drive it in the snow if you are careful (as anyone should be in bad road conditions).

Following that idea, he could keep his STi, and get a DD that is somewhat sporty/fun/practical. Focus SVT 6MT are pretty cheap now, reliable, easy to work on, decent fuel economy, FWD easy to handle in snow. 90s-era Civic Si, or hatch with B16/B18 swap, decent as well. All of that is doable for $5k or less, of course none of it will be anywhere near as powerful as even a stock STi.

3. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

2014 Forester XT in February. AWD, CVT, 250hp/258ft lb, 23/28mpg, 0-60 in 6.2s.

4. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

The turbo version you're talking about will probably top $30k easily. The turbo also won't be available with a manual, only CVT, as well as require premium fuel, which dings the fuel economy rating a fair amount calculating by %.

I love Subarus, and it's worth a look, but I think $25k will only buy a moderately equipped N/A 2.5 i4 model when the '14s come out.

5. jlee

jlee Lifer

Wow, fuel economy is better than I expected.

I'm a little sad that they're getting substantially slower though. :(

6. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

The current XT starts at $26.7k at my dealer. I think the new model would be in the same price range. The CVT is a plus since the original post specified an automatic.

7. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

That's quicker than current generation. You have to go back to the 2004-2008 model, with the short gearing, to be quicker.

It's only 1-1.5 seconds slower to 60 than a WRX or STi. That's pretty good for something with functional space and ground clearance.

#7 Jumpem, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  8. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

Has he considered the v6 Charger with 8-speed transmission? Quick car. Nice and roomy. 30-35mpg highway easily.

9. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Does he want an auto or standard?

He's sure going off in two different directions, compared to the Subie.

I say Mustang V6 with the extra handling pack. That would be the 'fun' option. The base GTI (also around 25k) is going to be a little more refined.

Basically, both are good for the money, but at the end of the day, he just has to ask- do I want a FWD (somewhat) hot hatch, or a (somewhat) powerful RWD muscle (pony, whatever) car? It's not exactly splitting hairs.

10. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

He really wants an auto trans. Personally he has an image thing, would never consider a beater type car.

Charger... that's an idea. I'll kick that idea to him. I like them. He might.

11. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Ah, one of those types.

Well nix the V6 Stang and GTI then, they both are substantially less fun with the autos.

Lightly used G37X Sedan (or possibly coupe, but more expensive) would give AWD, a great transmission, and 330HP. Also good for those worried about image, Infiniti > Ford/VW when it comes to that weird metric. 335xi is also out there, but substantially more $ for a decent one.

12. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Depends on the ford or the vw ;)

13. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

He is not a fan of my 1st gen g35x.

14. PhoKingGuy

PhoKingGuy Diamond Member

Focus ST?

I'd take the ST/GTI over the V6 stang anyday.

15. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Slower but better ergonomics/practicality?

GTI and ST are a huge step down in performance from even a stock STi.

This is just a weird thread now that I think about it.

16. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Altima coupe. Genesis coupe. Mazda3 w/ SkyActiv are pretty decent drivers. V6 Camry is bloody fast if he wants a sofa on wheels.

17. PhoKingGuy

PhoKingGuy Diamond Member

I'm not buying a mustang that I can get at Hertz.

18. Alienwho

Alienwho Diamond Member

I have a 2012 Mustang V6. This is a real vehicle and let me tell you, it's awesome.

Having said that my life situation has changed since I got the car about a year and a half ago. I now have a baby and if I was shopping today I would get a different car for the sake of practicality. I wish this vehicle was out 5 years ago when i could have used it for many years without the need of more practicality.

If he's single and rarely has more than one person in the car I couldn't recommend the mustang any more highly. I personally wish the focus ST was out last year because I would have gotten that instead. I'd trade it in for a focus ST if I knew I wasn't going to get boned over. I did get a great deal on it though, paid $22k OTD.

I get 27MPG running 70% city and 30% highway and I have the 3:31 gears. He shouldn't even consider any kind of accord/altima/etc coupes when the mustang blows those away and is cheaper.

#18 Alienwho, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

That's a pretty weak reason.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehic...HomeView.jsp&countryCode=US&category=Prestige Collection

You can also get Mercedes, Infiniti G, Cadilliac, etc at Hertz.

Besides, the rental variant of the Mustang is almost certainly going to be an auto with rental-car tires/wheels, and no track pack. It's not like the .98g grip 0-60 in 5.1 machine you get at the dealer with a proper 6MT.

20. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

Performance wise, yes but I guess his need for more mpg and a auto trans is higher.

I told him to keep the sti, as its paid for and a solid car. But he wants something new, his money.

Me personally I would go vette or gti. Not sure how a c6 vette with an auto works out but they are a bargain if I had 25k to spend for used.

21. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Sounds like a spot for the CR-Z. Light, easy to drive, somewhat sporty but very economical. It would be a DD but it would be a fun DD.

22. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

Sounds like the Charger would foot the bill. The 8-speed is the best automatic you can buy, period. 300 hp and it's plenty fast. And there's nothing like going 80 down the highway at 1300 rpms getting 34 mpg with enough space to fit four people and 8 suitcases.

23. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

This. They have v8 stangs and Camaros at Hertz...

24. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Also, if you're citing acceleration figures: Straight line acceleration, automatics are king right now. For curvy tracks they aren't, but drag racing, and 0-60 they are.

Yes, I just switched from an A5 to an M6, but I have no illusions.

Also, Hertz has had special edition mustangs in the past that were a slight step up from the normal GTs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Mustang#1966_Hertz_models

#24 Ferzerp, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  25. Alienwho

Alienwho Diamond Member

Is this real life? I would love for this to be true but I am highly skeptical.