Coworker cant understand "random"

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
We were joking about picking a "word of the day" out of a dictionary. Close your eyes, and pick a "random" word.

I tried explaining, being a smart ass, that it wasn't really random because you'd influence the results without knowing it. Human tendency would lead to more words in the middle being picked without you even thinking about it.

She couldn't fucking grasp the concept that each word didn't have an equal chance. Painful :(

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: vshah
so what is the word of the day?

Peaked (pronounced pee-kid)

?adjective
pale and drawn in appearance so as to suggest illness or stress; wan and sickly

We didn't randomly choose it though, someone used it in a sentence and baffled all of us. This is what kicked off the whole wotd thing.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: theblackbox
so did you have to use the clock to make it random? or another system?

We didn't pick a random word. I suggested a bingo ball each with a word on it, then spun in a gigantic cage.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Just because she didn't understand that the mind isn't random in this scenario doesn't mean she doesn't understand "random". She just doesn't understand the mind.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Have you ever thought that you don't need to argue about stupid things like this?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
We were joking about picking a "word of the day" out of a dictionary. Close your eyes, and pick a "random" word.

I tried explaining, being a smart ass, that it wasn't really random because you'd influence the results without knowing it. Human tendency would lead to more words in the middle being picked without you even thinking about it.

She couldn't fucking grasp the concept that each word didn't have an equal chance. Painful :(

Maybe it wasnt that she couldnt grasp the concept. Maybe she couldnt get past the thought " This guy is such such a d*ck" .

I kid man. I still can't imagine sitting and trying to explain that to anyone though.