Coward chickens out of speech to PARLIAMENT

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
From the previously linked page-

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/03/07_bush.html

No reporter is going to admit to any such thing, not while Dubya sits in the big chair, and can deny access, cut off their air supply...

Last I checked, Dubya didn't do a press conference, it was an interview, and a pretty soft one, too... big difference....

BuzzFlash Reader Commentary, yeah that's great. Thanks. Nice excuse, too. "It happened but no one's going to admit it." Whatever. It hasn't happened that's why no one can admit it.

I suggest you check again. I watched a press conference last night on C-SPAN. Not that it matters, I'm sure the British press is complicit in this scripted/softball conspiracy, too.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"We'll be there in a minute. King, John King. This is a scripted -- (laughter.)"

I watched that press conference, myself- the quote is entirely accurate. Dubya gave it away himself...

I'll check on the press conference, see if the questions weere screened, the journos hand picked- you know, the usual...

Can't find any links to any actual press conference, just speeches...

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
"We'll be there in a minute. King, John King. This is a scripted -- (laughter.)"

I watched that press conference, myself- the quote is entirely accurate. Dubya gave it away himself...

I'll check on the press conference, see if the questions weere screened, the journos hand picked- you know, the usual...

Can't find any links to any actual press conference, just speeches...

Google is your friend.

Press Conference

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
This exchange is particularly telling IMO:

Question: What do you say to people who today conclude that British people have died and been maimed as a result of you appearing here today, shoulder to shoulder, with a controversial American president? And Mr President, if I could ask you, with thousands marching on the streets today here in London, a free nation, what is your conclusion as to why apparently so many free citizens fear you and even hate you?

President Bush: I would say freedom is beautiful. It is a fantastic thing to come to a country where people are able to express their views.

Maybe they hate you because you refuse to answer a simple question? Ahem.

Those more than 100,000 people in London must be out of their minds. Did you say protests? I didn't see any protests from the limo. You must be joking. Oh! Do you mean the colorful folks in the free speech zone? Oh yeah, I love those guys. I hear they had a mime. I love mimes. Next question please.

Question: So why do they hate you in such numbers?

President Bush: I don't know that they do. All I know is that people in Baghdad for example weren't allowed to do this up until recent history, and they are not spending a lot of time in North Korea protesting to current leadership. Freedom is a wonderful thing, and I respect that. I fully understand people don't agree with war, but I hope they agree with peace, and freedom, and liberty. I hope they care deeply about the fact that when we find suffering, and torture, and mass graves, we weep for the citizens that are being brutalised by tyrants. And finally, the prime minister and I have a solemn duty to protect our people, and that is exactly what I intend to do as the president of the United States - protect the people of my country.

Sigh. Did you have to ask the SAME question? I told you I DON'T KNOW why they hate me. Maybe they hate me 'cause I love freedom? What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding? Oh wait, is this about the WAR again? Sheesh. I thought I answered that question already. Look, I can only say "rape rooms" and "torture chambers" so many times before I start boring even myself. 9/11, 9/11, 9/11, Niiiiiiiine Elevvvvvvven - oooooooh 9/11, 9/11...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Lets just take a little look at who those people who were in the streets protesting Bush over there.

Who are these anti-Bush people?

But yeah, DM he didn't directly answer the question, you want to know why? Because he knows that some people hate the war for whatever reason they want, but he's glad they live in a place that allows them to hate him for any reason they choose.
For people to try to bash Bush because he won't say why he thinks people hate him is absurd. Why don't these "reporters" go ask the protesters or whoever these "great numbers" why they hate Bush? That to me would make more sense.;)

Also who died or was maimed because Bush appeared there "shoulder to shoulder"? Huh?

I also think you missed the comment from Bush about a glass box and the last well known American to visit them;) Something about that some would like to see him stay in that box. He knows people don't like him, but people always do. Nobody is liked by everyone, and some will always find things to "hate" about.

Oh, and he didn't say he didn't know "why" - he said he didn't know that they did. In the context of "great numbers". Seems to me that there were less than 100K people protesting and I'm sure those people don't accurately represent the mainstream population(read the link;)) IMO people are free to hate him all they want, but to ask someone why people hate them is silly when the haters are right there to ask.:)

DM - what did you want him to say? What answer SHOULD he have given according to you?

CkG

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
what is your conclusion as to why apparently so many free citizens fear you and even hate you?

Why should a question like that even be considered? Bush was simply being diplomatic about the the real answer: The liberal mind is far too undeveloped to act rationally.

:D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Lets just take a little look at who those people who were in the streets protesting Bush over there.

<snip>

CkG

Sure Cad, marginalize the protestors as crazy radicals who hate Bush for no reason. That way, you can also rule out that they have any kind of legitimate issue. And sure, Bush claims to love freedom of speech now, but not long ago he was agonizing that "Free speech ought to have limits." I have a hard time determining his REAL position on free speech.

I'm not going to attempt to answer the question: How should Bush have responded. You're right, there's no good response. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes...

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Corn
what is your conclusion as to why apparently so many free citizens fear you and even hate you?

Why should a question like that even be considered? Bush was simply being diplomatic about the the real answer: The liberal mind is far too undeveloped to act rationally.

:D

Hmmmm, who's elitist now? Is it the conservatives with their "massive" brain power? My god, you must have to thunk your CPUs down a few iterations to even contemplate a stupid question like that. Right, Corn? :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

<snip>

CkG

Sure Cad, marginalize the protestors as crazy radicals who hate Bush for no reason. That way, you can also rule out that they have any kind of legitimate issue. And sure, Bush claims to love freedom of speech now, but not long ago he was agonizing that "Free speech ought to have limits." I have a hard time determining his REAL position on free speech.

I'm not going to attempt to answer the question: How should Bush have responded. You're right, there's no good response. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes...

I didn't say they didn't have what they think is a legitimate issue.

Got a source for your Bush quote/quip? I couldn't find it doing a quick search.

Ah, no good response...figured as much...so no matter what he said you'd have tried to use it against him. Hmmm...
But anyway that wasn't my question - how should he have answered it? I didn't ask whether or not there was a "good" answer - I asked how you think he should have answered it....or don't you care and just want to try to bash him.

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Ah, no good response...figured as much...so no matter what he said you'd have tried to use it against him. Hmmm...
But anyway that wasn't my question - how should he have answered it? I didn't ask whether or not there was a "good" answer - I asked how you think he should have answered it....or don't you care and just want to try to bash him.

CkG

I paraphrased Bush. Sorry. What he said is: "There ought to be some limits to freedom." CNN.com Link

In mid-to late 2002, as the Iraq war loomed, the MoveOn e-mail list doubled, to 1 million. Wes and Joan hooked up with Zack Exley, whose parody campaign 2000 website, GWBush.com, caused candidate Bush to declare, "There ought to be some limits to freedom"; and Eli Pariser, 22, a New Yorker whose post-9/11 e-mail petition for peace was signed by 500,000 people worldwide.

Well of course there's no good answer Cad. IMO, there was no basis for the war in Iraq. What could he possibly say that would make any difference? At least to me?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I think the correct quote is "There ought to be limits to freedom." At least that's what he said concerning an anti-Bush website.

Not sure if this is the website in question or not...www.gwbush.com

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
A now for something completely different :)

Soccer Moms and Weirdos - Britain protests against President Bush.

Last week, Guardian columnist Jonathan Freedland declared:

So long as the protesters look like the usual suspects?multiply pierced, Genoa-style activists in torn clothes and mohican [Mohawk] haircuts?then, I'm told, the White House will not worry. They will be able to say Bush enjoys the global support of all but a few anarchist weirdos. If the demonstrators look like the U.K. equivalent of America's "soccer moms", regular people of all ages, including plenty of women?tricky to bring out on a weekday?then Washington may have to rethink.

So?did the demonstration pass the soccer mom test?

The crowd looked like Londoners: multicultural, all ages and types, like the people you'd get at any other event. There wasn't the same bring-the-family, kids-in-strollers feel of the huge anti-war protest I attended on a Saturday in February, though there were plenty of schoolchildren on hand today. (How glad one is to see this evidence of the much-longed-for political engagement in the young, and how one pushes to the back of one's mind the question of how much an unauthorized afternoon off school has to do with it.) But, yes, there were a huge number of women, many of whom you might describe as soccer moms.

The event was safe and non-threatening, and presumably both sides can claim victory. The organizers got the predicted huge turnout, and the U.S and British leaders got on with their day undisturbed; they can claim the demonstration as another victory for democracy and free speech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

I paraphrased Bush. Sorry. What he said is: "There ought to be some limits to freedom." CNN.com Link

In mid-to late 2002, as the Iraq war loomed, the MoveOn e-mail list doubled, to 1 million. Wes and Joan hooked up with Zack Exley, whose parody campaign 2000 website, GWBush.com, caused candidate Bush to declare, "There ought to be some limits to freedom"; and Eli Pariser, 22, a New Yorker whose post-9/11 e-mail petition for peace was signed by 500,000 people worldwide.

Well of course there's no good answer Cad. IMO, there was no basis for the war in Iraq. What could he possibly say that would make any difference? At least to me?

Ah yes - the "freedom" quote. Got some context with that clipped quote(ie more than just the partial statement)? IMO it's a bit like some of the Clinton quotes like- "We can?t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." that can be taken out of context by people wishing to attribute stances or statements to people when the context may not support the insinuations. But IMO there are limits to freedom - we deal with limits every day.

Again - I didn't say "good" answer DM - I asked what you think he should have said in response to the question. It's not necessarily "bad" to say that you'd disagree with or try to use ANY answer he gave...people do that all the time. Damned if he does - damned if he doesn't - it's politics, you can't please everyone.:)

CkG

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
"Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question. Everybody - anyone could answer that. "Cake or death?"

"Uhh, cake please."

"Very well! Give him cake!"

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Ah yes - the "freedom" quote. Got some context with that clipped quote(ie more than just the partial statement)? IMO it's a bit like some of the Clinton quotes like- "We can?t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." that can be taken out of context by people wishing to attribute stances or statements to people when the context may not support the insinuations. But IMO there are limits to freedom - we deal with limits every day.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up too - even if it's out of context. But I was talking about Bush. I'm sure you want to talk about Bush, right? If you want more context, read the link I provided. Bush was responding to a question about a parody web site ... www.gwbush.com I believe.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yeah, that's pretty messed up too - even if it's out of context. But I was talking about Bush. I'm sure you want to talk about Bush, right? If you want more context, read the link I provided. Bush was responding to a question about a parody web site ... www.gwbush.com I believe.

Yes, there are surrounding details but there isn't more of what he said...which would put that chopped quote in it's intended context. Now again - do you have more than a couple words of what Bush said...or just that little quote?

Yes - this is about Bush, but like I was pointing out - people can and will take portions of statements and twist them to mean the sky is falling which is why I posted the ones from Clinton. It was an example of how selective quoting can be twisted to change intent and context or just allow for wild speculation.

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Yes, there are surrounding details but there isn't more of what he said...which would put that chopped quote in it's intended context. Now again - do you have more than a couple words of what Bush said...or just that little quote?

Isn't the quote and the immediate context quite enough? If you're so interested in further detail, go research it. :)

Yes - this is about Bush, but like I was pointing out - people can and will take portions of statements and twist them to mean the sky is falling which is why I posted the ones from Clinton. It was an example of how selective quoting can be twisted to change intent and context or just allow for wild speculation.

CkG

Sometimes when people say things, it gives you some insight to how people think. :) IMO, I have no doubt that Bush really thinks that way .... he puts a good face on it lately with his "Ain't freedom grand, people?" remarks. I think deep down, Bush is seething over all of this "dissent."

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Isn't the quote and the immediate context quite enough? If you're so interested in further detail, go research it. :)

CkG

Sometimes when people say things, it gives you some insight to how people think. :) IMO, I have no doubt that Bush really thinks that way .... he puts a good face on it lately with his "Ain't freedom grand, people?" remarks. I think deep down, Bush is seething over all of this "dissent."

rolleye.gif
No -there is just a supposed summary of some surroundings - there needs to be more of his statement. If you believe that stand alone chopped quote, you also have to believe the Clinton ones - because the rest of their statement is missing. It's clearly an attempt to allow people like yourself to take them and run wild with speculation.
I find it funny that you think you know something about Bush and how he "really" feels:p What else can you tell us about how Bush really feels about things DM?;)

CkG