Court tosses White House appeal on visitor logs

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Court tosses White House appeal on visitor logs

Text

a case brought by a watchdog group trying to find out how often prominent religious conservatives visited the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's residence

The Bush administration argued that releasing those documents would trample on the president's right to seek private, confidential advice.

President Clinton's political opponents made extensive use of 1990s Secret Service logs documenting White House visits by donors, fundraisers, pardon-seekers, and former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

Strange how Republican's can see in double vision.
Clinton admin - lets do it!
Bush admin - thats a no no! :roll:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its also interesting that the white house wants to spy on everyone and their brother in law, but when it comes to disclosing what they are required to disclose under the Presidential records act, they want to be be an exception to even minimal scrutiny.

My reaction is that the congress should simply forget to fund a single dime to pay executive branch salaries until the executive branch complies with the law. Which will stop the bullshit far faster than any court can. Even GWB&co crooks do not work for free.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Once again, I note the 'good' rulings do not include judges appointed by the Bush 43 aenda for radical Federalist judges. none of the three were appointed by GWB (two by Clinton).

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Come on, man. Give the poor Dear Leader a break.

With all this scrutiny, he may find himself having to communicate with right-wing zealots and creepy fundie advisors through a secret code of foot-tapping in public restrooms. We all know that the queers already translated that code, and national security is in jeopardy.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: fallout man

With all this scrutiny, he may find himself having to communicate with right-wing zealots and creepy fundie advisors through a secret code of foot-tapping in public restrooms. We all know that the queers already translated that code, and national security is in jeopardy.

Are we about to have our first former president who lives in exile?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Craig234, if GWB decides to go the exile route he would be the second. Seems Hoover felt so dis respected that he choose to live in France after he left the white house.
And did not return to the USA until after France fell to the Nazi's.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seems like a good ruling, but I'm sure this stuff will get tied up in court until a change of administration in January. After that, it's a moot point. The assault that's been waged on the idea of open and transparent government over the past 8 years is sickening :( My fear is that regardless of who's elected, the drive towards more secrecy to cover up shenanigans will continue.....

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: fallout man

Are we about to have our first former president who lives in exile?

He probably has a deal in place to sell Texas to Mexico before he leaves office and will be appointed King of Texas.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Craig234, if GWB decides to go the exile route he would be the second. Seems Hoover felt so dis respected that he choose to live in France after he left the white house.
And did not return to the USA until after France fell to the Nazi's.

Are you sure? Wiki

My comment about GWB living in exile was tongue in cheek.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Looks like I was wrong, Craig234, and I must have had Hoover mixed up with someone else.

But I very much wonder if GWB will be forced to leave the country when we find out much more of what he was up to.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Looks like I was wrong, Craig234, and I must have had Hoover mixed up with someone else.

Happens to the best of us, I was going to say thanks for the history lesson if you were right:)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well back to the thread topic, I have to grudgingly conceded this white house, when caught, is very good at what it does, which is to gut anything adverse. You can bet that Cheney and Attington are closeted together, as I type this, figuring out some plan B to avoid the court finding. They may do some public moaning and groaning, but I don't hold my breath thinking the visitor logs will be turned over any time soon is my guess.

While I don't think Polosi and Reed were wrong in extending the olive branch to GWB&co when they resumed control of congress in early 2007, but they should have hedged their bets by proceeding full speed ahead with congressional investigations. And if they had, I think the courts would now be ready to stop the abuses. Th e dems did not and it now looks likely that GWB&co will slink out of office before any axes fall. Any lessons learned by our courts will only comes a they join the American people in later discovering what happened while we slept.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well back to the thread topic, I have to grudgingly conceded this white house, when caught, is very good at what it does, which is to gut anything adverse. You can bet that Cheney and Attington are closeted together, as I type this, figuring out some plan B to avoid the court finding. They may do some public moaning and groaning, but I don't hold my breath thinking the visitor logs will be turned over any time soon is my guess.

While I don't think Polosi and Reed were wrong in extending the olive branch to GWB&co when they resumed control of congress in early 2007, but they should have hedged their bets by proceeding full speed ahead with congressional investigations. And if they had, I think the courts would now be ready to stop the abuses. Th e dems did not and it now looks likely that GWB&co will slink out of office before any axes fall. Any lessons learned by our courts will only comes a they join the American people in later discovering what happened while we slept.

Gee, just think how well off this country of ours would be if these crooks were as good at running this country as they are in how well they hide their crimes and how well they avoid being held accoutable for their actions.

You'd think they're so good at it because they must have been doing it all their lives or someth....*!*

edit - There's only one word that describes these guys: twotimingbackstabbingforkedtongueddirteatingtwofacedlyingschemingsnakes.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well tweaker2 is right on one thing---You'd think they're so good at it because they must have been doing it all their lives or someth....*!*

And oh how right you are. People like Cheney and Rumsfeld got their start in the Nixon white house. And the one thing they learned is how not to get caught as they learned to manipulate others. See Rummy shake Saddam's hand, see various others later help arm terrorists in Afghanistan, but of course people like Ossama were freedom fighters back them days. Later on they engineered the Iraq war, helped Engineer the Israeli incursion into Lebanon, and they have been up to all kinds of no good all their lives.

And all for the noble goal of advancing US foreign policy that has ended up being a disaster on all fronts.