Court Rules: A Fetus is a Person

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Court rules fetus a 'person' in lawsuit

May 11, 2001
Web posted at: 10:19 AM EDT (1419 GMT)

Aka v. Jefferson Hospital Assoc., Inc. (FindLaw)

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- The Arkansas Supreme Court ruled that a fetus is a person in a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by a man whose wife and unborn child died during birth procedures.

In reversing a lower court on Thursday, the Supreme Court cited a 1999 law that changed the state's criminal code to include a living fetus of 12 weeks gestation in the definition of a person.

The case stemmed from the December 13, 1995, death of Evangeline Aka and her unborn son about 30 hours after she was admitted to the hospital so labor could be induced.

Aka's husband, Philip, claimed the defendants were medically negligent in unnecessarily inducing his wife's labor, failing to discontinue the procedure, failing to perform a caesarean section, failing to resuscitate his wife or the unborn baby and failing to obtain informed consent.

"Given this amended definition of 'person,' the Legislature plainly affords protection to unborn viable fetuses," Chief Justice W.H. "Dub" Arnold wrote for the court.

A circuit judge ruled in early 1999 against Aka's claims, citing a Supreme Court ruling that a fetus was not a person in wrongful-death actions.

Later that year, the Legislature approved a law specifying that an unborn fetus could be considered a person for some purposes in criminal law.

"The relevance of the Legislature's response, by statutorily defining person in the criminal context to include a fetus, cannot be understated," Arnold wrote.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Robert L. Brown said he agreed with the lower court ruling that viable fetuses are not considered persons for purposes of wrongful-death cases.

"The majority's reasoning is inconsistent and extremely hard to justify," Brown said. "A decision of this magnitude requires clarity and direction, and not a patchwork quilt woven from disparate statutes, constitutional provisions and Supreme Court decisions."

Brown said he believed the public policy shift didn't occur until this year, with the passage of another law specifically amending the wrongful-death statute to include a viable fetus in the definition of a person.

The act was approved April 4 and won't go into effect until August 14.

Its about time! :)

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
i believe that IF you want an abortion, it should be done fairly immediately

I hope the horrible actions of the doctors swayed the results, they deserve it :(

dANt3R

Feb 16, 2001
If this had been posted a year ago I would have skipped over the thread. But since my daughter has come into my life I've become a baby loving freak who has to goo goo at every child he sees. I'm glad they ruled this way.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Just a quick FYI. This case had nothing to do with abortion. It ruled that the hospital could be held liable for the wrongful death of an at term fetus.

If you have an abortion at 9 months, you go to jail. This shouldn't be any different.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

<< Just a quick FYI. This case had nothing to do with abortion. >>

It will, however. This will get appealed to the Supreme Court, and the ruling will have an effect on the abortion issue, even if it may not have a net effect either affirming or curtailing abortion rights. No matter what, the side which the court rules for will claim a moral victory.

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
We can only hope that any further court action take into account the viability of the fetus, and determine when a fetus transitions from a parasetic phase, to a state that is able to be thrive on its own accord.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't viability of a feutus in deterimining damages in a wrongful death claim usually differ from state to state. This ruling may effect abortion rights in AK.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Yes, it is different from state to state, but most states look to other states when a case is &quot;unprecidented.&quot; This is turn means that it may spread to other states over a long period of time. :) I applaud that judge. :)

Johnnie

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
May 28, 2000
it's about time. !! :)
i cannot see how anyone with kids could support abortion...

dANt3R

Feb 16, 2001

<< So, did anyone get a quote from the fetus?? >>

It's sad that thought even came into your head and even worse that you felt the need to post it. :disgust:

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

<<

<< So, did anyone get a quote from the fetus?? >>

hahah, maybe he didnt have anything to say :)

and by the way this is the arkansas supreme court. who cares.