Court Orders Ohio To Restore 3 Days Of Early Voting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Baring active-duty military* personnel I would agree with this. If you cannot be bothered to make it to the polls on election day then you shouldn't vote.

*It should be obvious why. If you are providing service to the country it seems reasonable to extend extra courtesy to you.

But if you are out of town on business, trying to support your family, then fuck you, you don't get to vote.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Well requiring you to get off your ass every 2-4 years to drive/walk down to your local polling place seems like a pretty good start. If you cannot even be bothered to do that then you should not be voting.
Ohio's extended voting days were implemented because of the enormous numbers of voters still waiting to get into the polls at the end of election days in 2004 and 2008; some voters waited in line over 10 hours.

What was that about lazy asses?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Voting (just as being the monarch) is a privilege, like everything the govt gives us... it's not a right and it sure as hell isn't a duty.

I'm going to perform my duty by not voting... if you vote for a shit-stained douch bag, then you consent to being governed (i.e., conquered). That said, Goldman Sachs didn't trick me.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Ohio's extended voting days were implemented because of the enormous numbers of voters still waiting to get into the polls at the end of election days in 2004 and 2008; some voters waited in line over 10 hours.

What was that about lazy asses?

sounds like they simply ned more voting stations, or more locations.
not a 3 days window of opportunity.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
You do?

You want people who are completely unable to run their own lives to vote themselves more of your money? :hmm:

You want to kiss the asses of people who don't give a shit if you live or die in hopes of getting some crumbs from the table? That's not a flattering personality trait.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You do?

You want people who are completely unable to run their own lives to vote themselves more of your money? :hmm:

Why did you bring up red state welfare?

I think that the broader the participation, the more accurately our representatives will be able to determine the will of the People, legislate accordingly.

Which is, of course, anathema to the principles of right wing ideology- govt of the few, for the few, and by the few, where the will of the people merely references how much top down class warfare the people will tolerate.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You do?

I think that the broader the participation, the more accurately our representatives will be able to determine the will of the People, legislate accordingly.

Which is, of course, anathema to the principles of right wing ideology- govt of the few, for the few, and by the few, where the will of the people merely references how much top down class warfare the people will tolerate.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
sounds like they simply ned more voting stations, or more locations.
not a 3 days window of opportunity.
That would be one solution. Ohio decided that extended voting days were preferable.
The current Republican state administration decided to cut back the extended days (without providing more polling places to compensate) when they realized more Democrats than Republicans were voting early.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

And of course that is a bit misleading, because as I have shown before people with low incomes are MUCH more likely to vote Democrat.

I do not care about the will of people who want to extort money from me.

I never said the few. But I would not have a problem with preventing probably a good 30% of people from voting.

70% is not equal to 1%.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And of course that is a bit misleading, because as I have shown before people with low incomes are MUCH more likely to vote Democrat.

Which doesn't account for the whole idea of red state welfare, at all. If what you claim were true, they'd be blue states, but they're not.

I do not care about the will of people who want to extort money from me.

Defense contractors? Agribusiness? Utility companies? TBTF lenders? Filibustering red state Senators? Job Creators offshoring capital as fast as they can get it? Who are you talking about, anyway- who has the power to extort your money?

[
I never said the few. But I would not have a problem with preventing probably a good 30% of people from voting.

70% is not equal to 1%.

Just so long as you're the one who picks who gets disenfranchised, right? It's built in to your well propagandized headset, good little right wing authoritarian that you are.

If 70% won't give you the results you want, make it 50%, and if that won't, just keep going until the desired results are achieved. Justify it all with whatever emotional blather you can muster.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Then you are ineligible to vote.

Government gives you 30 days to change your License info when you move.

If you choose to not get updated that's your problem and fault.

Call it civil disobedience. I don't feel it necessary to keep the government updated on my place of residence. Certainly not in exchange for my God-given right to vote.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Which doesn't account for the whole idea of red state welfare, at all. If what you claim were true, they'd be blue states, but they're not.

income.jpg

Defense contractors? Agribusiness? Utility companies? TBTF lenders? Filibustering red state Senators? Job Creators offshoring capital as fast as they can get it? Who are you talking about, anyway- who has the power to extort your money?

Defense Contractors - I whole hardly support cuts to military spending
Agribusiness - American's spend less on food as % of income than any other time in history. Are you complaining that food is not free?
Utility companies - OMG water and electricity are not fre :eek:
TBTF Lenders - I have previously called for hanging the worst offenders and caning the rest. I have no more interest in being orally raped than anally raped.
Fillibustering - You are spouting complete nonsense now.

Who is extorting money? Try the hundreds of billions of dollars spent bailing out the poor from their poor life choices. The government spends more on Medicaid EVERY year than they did on TARP. Even excluding money that was repaid.

Just so long as you're the one who picks who gets disenfranchised, right? It's built in to your well propagandized headset, good little right wing authoritarian that you are.

If 70% won't give you the results you want, make it 50%, and if that won't, just keep going until the desired results are achieved. Justify it all with whatever emotional blather you can muster.

No its not about getting what I want. It is about human trash not getting to extort support from actual people.

Take the case of 29-year-old Jennifer Stepp, who lives in Reading, Pa. Like 14 million other people in the U.S. who live in families headed by single mothers, she's poor. And she faces incredible odds.

Stepp has three children by three different fathers. The father of her eldest child, 10-year-old Isaiah, is serving 30 years in federal prison for armed robbery.

"He's met my son one time, when he was a baby. And he decided that he didn't want him," she says.

Stepp's middle child, 8-year-old Shyanne, usually sees her father every other weekend. But the father of her younger son is also in prison. Stepp says he's been behind bars for selling cocaine since she was pregnant. He has never met 1-year-old Makai.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Echoes of Paul Weyrich- "I don't want everybody to vote"

....I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.

Kind of interesting that he also was involved in the founding of ALEC...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
income.jpg

Defense Contractors - I whole hardly support cuts to military spending
Agribusiness - American's spend less on food as % of income than any other time in history. Are you complaining that food is not free?
Utility companies - OMG water and electricity are not fre :eek:
TBTF Lenders - I have previously called for hanging the worst offenders and caning the rest. I have no more interest in being orally raped than anally raped.
Fillibustering - You are spouting complete nonsense now.

Who is extorting money? Try the hundreds of billions of dollars spent bailing out the poor from their poor life choices. The government spends more on Medicaid EVERY year than they did on TARP. Even excluding money that was repaid.

No its not about getting what I want. It is about human trash not getting to extort support from actual people.

I just love the way you try to blindly apply your little national graphic to a regional situation, red state welfare. Compare these two graphics-

800px-2008_General_Election_Results_by_County.PNG

map_6.jpg

Lots of poor people in red states, and they vote republican, obviously.

Your usual song and dance wrt extortion is a really sad commentary on the shameful degeneracy of right wing thought. Poor people have no power in this country, other than regionally in the US Senate. Red State welfare really is an act of compassion, charity & solidarity towards our fellow americans by more affluent areas, a voluntary act made by the will of the people, expressed through our representatives.

It's a shame that all too many in those areas are so well propagandized that they regularly vote against their own interests, driven by the folkways & mores of their past, by emotional wedge issues tailored to their headsets.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I guess people kinda like simple conveniences in life.
Like public restrooms in the parks, gas stations located along roadways, stores listing their hours of operation on the door, tap water, electricity, the weather forecast, and the convenience of casting a vote on your time schedule.
And THAT just pisses off some republicans no end.
HA. HAHA I say. HA!

I remember a day in America when any hint of limiting voting rights would label one a traitor, a communist AND a terrorist.
Today, simply considered an acceptable tactic for rigging elections.
Apparently, the new American standard.