Coupling... Yes Not the first thread on the topic

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
:) That being said. Why is NBC wanting to kill such an amazing series. IF they reallly want high viewership, wouldn't it make sense to reunite the BBC's Cast and just go from there? I managed to find the entire 3 seasons. I think I'll be buying the DVD. This show kicks arse.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
It's like Friends with edge. Tons of sexual references... and it's just dang funny. search for it on Kazaa... there is a bunch of TV captured eps there.

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
I love that show! It won't work when they try to redo it. The original cast was perfect. And are they going to make it the American version? That would destroy it.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
my manager keeps raving about this series and was hoping that an american network would not ruin it by making their own version. oh well.

i'll have to check out the dvd's.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think I have seen every epicode of the BBC version, one of the funniest tv series since the begining of television!

then I saw the pilot for the american version, boy was it bad! english humor just doesnt go well with us accent, or actors, kinda like the american pilot of Red Dwarf.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
I need breasts with brains. I don?t mean individual brains, obviously... I mean, not a brain each. You know, I like intelligent women, but you?ve got to draw the line somewhere... I think breast brains would be over-egging the woman pudding.

from the episode: The Girl With Two Breasts

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
There was an American pilot of Red dwarf? Now coupling? I think the networks are running out of Ideas.

edit:
How about an American version of "Brittish men behaving badly"?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Kenazo
I need breasts with brains. I don?t mean individual brains, obviously... I mean, not a brain each. You know, I like intelligent women, but you?ve got to draw the line somewhere... I think breast brains would be over-egging the woman pudding.

I think my fave ep is the one centering on the home-pr0n tape made by two of the characters that all the guys end up watching. :D

Kenzano: if you haven't checked out "So Graham Norton" on BBCA, I strongly suggest it. He's about 1000x funnier than any of the US late-night hosts. I thought I was going to pass out laughing at the ep where he visits Dollywood.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1

I think my fave ep is the one centering on the home-pr0n tape made by two of the characters that all the guys end up watching. :D

Kenzano: if you haven't checked out "So Graham Norton" on BBCA, I strongly suggest it. He's about 1000x funnier than any of the US late-night hosts. I thought I was going to pass out laughing at the ep where he visits Dollywood.

For a gay guy, he certainly has a thing for Dolly.

But hey, who doesn't?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Originally posted by: Fausto1

For a gay guy, he certainly has a thing for Dolly.

But hey, who doesn't?
The appeal of huge breasts seems to cut across all social lines. :D

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

that girl was hot:)

think thats season 2.

from what i remember, the first eps uk had a major bit about a nickname "donkey" right?

it was left out in the US version. wtf!!!! that and other things.

jeff and steve are all wrong!!

its all wrong:(

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We watched the whole thing. Mark my words: it will not last through season 1, unless it somehow manages to hang on in some less respected time spot. Compared to a show like friends it's nothing. It's funny at parts but it lacks the hot ladies of plenty of other shows and the writers are just not there. We watched friends, and then will and grace and then...coupling. The show just isn't there.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TMPadmin
There was an American pilot of Red dwarf? Now coupling? I think the networks are running out of Ideas.

edit:
How about an American version of "Brittish men behaving badly"?

British TV does the same thing as well. They remade That 70's Show with the same scripts using different actors. Couldn't understand why because they were showing the original about 2 months prior to them starting the remade version.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
TV is just following Hollywood movies? Remakes 2-3 years after the original is released? Insomnia is a remake. Aren't they doing another Amelie?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i have a NBC promo DVD that had the pilot episode of Coupling. i thought it was ok. not hilarious, but not as bad as some of their other shows :confused:

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
saw the show last night. it really sucks ass. if there's no nudity, the innuendos just don't work. actually, if there's no nudity, nothing works

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I saw Coupling last night as well. It was really, really stupid humor. Very disappointing! Is the british version that much better?

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
Go get the UK DVD. Everything about the UK ver is better. Even with the same lines. But with what else is on TV these days the NBC ver should be a hit!

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
Cant forgive what happened to Cracker, that was a fantastic show. The US-version is just about watchable (forgot what it's renamed to though) but miles off Robbie Coltrane's magnificence.

I cant beleive they even got as far as a pilot for a Red Dwarf acted by Americans, that would never have worked - to the point that it would have been quality if they did it for one episode as a joke.

royaldank, no idea what show youre talking about but by far the norm here is to buy in US shows and screen the originals, very rare to do remakes. Going the other way it seems that remakes are the norm, though not having lived in US I cant say I've had much experience of the TV there.

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Davegod
Cant forgive what happened to Cracker, that was a fantastic show. The US-version is just about watchable (forgot what it's renamed to though) but miles off Robbie Coltrane's magnificence.

I cant beleive they even got as far as a pilot for a Red Dwarf acted by Americans, that would never have worked - to the point that it would have been quality if they did it for one episode as a joke.

royaldank, no idea what show youre talking about but by far the norm here is to buy in US shows and screen the originals, very rare to do remakes. Going the other way it seems that remakes are the norm, though not having lived in US I cant say I've had much experience of the TV there.

I think writers are out of ideas. After Seinfeld ended everyone went into a downward spiral to the point that reality shows took over. God I hate these. I enjoyed watching some of the original survivor where the participants were away for a year. I think next we can expect a remake of British (American) Men Behaving Badly.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I have the BBC Season One edition, Season Two is on pre-order. The American version just doesn't compare, not even a little.