Couples, what do you do to keep from getting bored?

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Especially to keep from getting bored with each other.

I've sort of adapted over the years where I don't get bored easily, since I have my thoughts to occupy me most of the time. However, I can tell my gf sometimes gets bored just hanging out at my place all the time. I try to take her dancing occasionally (shagging, swing, latin dances) and she inevitably gets cranky because she's afraid of what other people are saying about us (neither one of us are good, I wouldn't even say we're bad, it's much worse than that). She gets cranky and I get annoyed because she's letting what total strangers might be thinking prevent her from having a good time. Yes, I know it's this reason and not some other because she's told me about it and I have observed that she can't take criticism well, even from someone she doesn't know.

So, I'm a little short on ideas as to how to keep us from being bored with each other here. Any suggestions? Hopefully some suggestions that won't make me go broke? I am starting grad school soon after all.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater
I've found that having children has kept us both occupied. You could try that.

that would definately spice things up abit..

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Diablo 2. I find that playing LAN games with my wife is pretty good. Might make you go broke though, if you have to actually purchase a second computer.

Another thing that can help is just accepting that you shouldn't try to do everything with your partner. Sometimes go do separate things. That's okay too. It makes the activities that you do together less forced. Don't force the issue. My wife doesn't want to sit and stare at me when I'm editing video footage or whatever. I don't want to go stand around when she's having a dinner party with the Russian Studies department at the university. It's no big deal.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
sounds like you need to get her a little tipsy before you go out so she won't be concerned what others think. ;)

Michael1897

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2002
Comedy Club
Walking at the Lake
Driving out to the middle of no-where w/picnic basket at night and look at stars
(very cheap and very effective)

On second thought: Two words: Kama Sutra :)

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Well, we don't try to do everything together. We're both still in school, so what time we've had together have been sort of limited and revolved around sex somehow. I try to ask her what she want to do and she always answers back, "I don't know, whatever you want to do." The problem with that is, I'm fine just spending quite time with her all the time, but I can tell she gets bored sometimes. When I do try to take her out, it gets expensive and more often than not she gets cranky.

Not sure about the computer game thing. I've avoided them in college so I won't get addicted and do bad in school. Besides, I'm not sure she'll be into that and I don't have another computer she can use.

By the way, I don't want children, ever.

No, I don't think I need other guys taking her out, especially since she's willing to go out and pick up women with me and she's willing to share them with me. Kama Sutra? Been through that--twice and added an appendum. You guys beginning to see why I don't want to loose this one to boredom here?!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No, I don't think I need other guys taking her out, especially since she's willing to go out and pick up women with me and she's willing to share them with me.

Wait, and you're asking us how to keep from getting bored?

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
(not personal advice -- I've just heard this from others)

a bowling league. I swear to God you'll get good before too long, even if you bowl in the 60's now. Bowling three games once a week for a month WILL improve your scores. Find another young couple to go with. It seems trashy, but it's lots of fun :)

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Forgot to mention. She's back to living with her parents while in college to save money (they wouldn't let her get a part time job while in school). Her parents aren't too fond of her dating a "non-white" guy, so I also have to work around the fact that her parents don't want her spending too much time with me.

I refuse to believe that sex is the only way couples keep from getting bored with each other.

JSang

Feb 3, 2002
hmm maybe if you guys dont share any common interests then theres not much you can do?

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I believe in the philosphy of trying anything at least once except incest, folk dancing, and communism. Heck I've even tried folk dancing, so it's not like the lack of common interest would be a big deal since I'm open to almost anything. The problem is when we go out dancing, she says she enjoys herself till she notices other people staring. It's discouraging to me to take her out to do things but she prevents herself from having a good time because she's afraid of looking silly in front of other people especially since I'd be just as happy hanging out at my place with her doing nothing at all.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but I guess I'll spill the beans. :) I had a similar problem freshman year in college, but it was my own fault. I was dating a girl strictly for her looks. We had nothing in common. It was good, but we would also get bored.

Yes, it was incredibly shallow, but you had to see this girl. :D

Anyway, I don't know if this is the case here, but might be something to consider. If you don't have anything in common, why are are you dating?

Originally posted by: JSang
hmm maybe if you guys dont share any common interests then theres not much you can do?

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Why limit this to couples why not say hey people in general what do you do to keep from being bored, i would damn well like to know.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
We were doing just fine during the regular school year when there were a lot more stuff to do and she wasn't living with her parents. Now, this little college town is practically dead at times and it's tough scheduling time to be with each other when he parent (mom especially) don't want her around me. For instance, the other day, we were going to lay in the sun together or rather she lay, I keep her company, but I get there and her mom wants her back home in half an hour.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I've found that having children has kept us both occupied. You could try that.

I can attest to that. We have to struggle just to find free time for ourselves let alone each other.

Bored is not something we ever experience in our daily lives... but 'exhausted' is.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Dance lessons, been there, done that.

Basically it's summer time and the closest town we'd be able to find anything to do now that everyone's gone is about an hour and a half away, which is further than her mom wants us going.

We don't drink, so can't do the college folks thing of getting hammered and being "cool" like that. Hate smoke.

Would ask her to do more karate with me, but last time I tried that she got offended that I wouldn't make full contact hits with her and preceeded to pound the crap out of me. Oh well the price we men must pay to spend quality time with our women.

I guess I'll try to schedule some of what Michael suggested about the picnic and everything in, some karate, see what else comes to mind. Meanwhile I guess, it'll just be lots of sex, photos, videos, and occasionally checking out/picking up women together. :frown:

PC166

Banned
May 5, 2002
Anyone who have too much freetime basically are bored, if you keep busy like I am you wouldn't be bored at all. Don't do the same thing everyday like eating spagetti 7 days a week or watch the same movie over and over again. Find what you like doing such as taking computer apart, fooling around with your TV's, VCR, or try to do something different everyday. I find most job quite boring as well, and they are not there for fun but to make you some money to pay bills.