Couple told to go to back of the bus

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.advocate.com/politics/2013/08/04/watch-gay-couple-told-move-back-bus

Clearly, given the company's reaction to the incident, this was not something sanctioned by anyone in charge... and the bus driver was putting his personal feelings where they don't belong.

I hope the driver was fired.

At the end the news anchor reports that the bus company's drivers must attend "sensitivity training", which I don't think should be required for anyone except this particular bus driver. His continued employment should be conditioned on completion of that training. No need to put all other drivers.. most or all of which wouldn't have done what this driver did.. through a PC dog-and-pony show.

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
There's no doubt that when this is posted at Huffington Post (and it probably already is) and any other liberal area... those posting it will want anyone reading it to envision some angry white redneck in that bus driver's seat.

I was very recently at the Albuquerque airport and every single shuttle bus driver I saw was Mexican and had a tenuous grasp of the English language. My money would be on this driver falling into that category.

What's the relevance of that? Well, the fact is other cultures aren't anywhere near as tolerant of homosexuality or women's rights, etc as western culture is. So while it's unfortunate that this driver acted in this way, all I can say is that this is what happens when the same people who are complaining about it... are such vigorous supporters of immigration from these less tolerant parts of the world.

Enjoy the diversity, I guess.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
There's no doubt that when this is posted at Huffington Post (and it probably already is) and any other liberal area... those posting it will want anyone reading it to envision some angry white redneck in that bus driver's seat.

I was very recently at the Albuquerque airport and every single shuttle bus driver I saw was Mexican and had a tenuous grasp of the English language. My money would be on this driver falling into that category.

What's the relevance of that? Well, the fact is other cultures aren't anywhere near as tolerant of homosexuality or women's rights, etc as western culture is. So while it's unfortunate that this driver acted in this way, all I can say is that this is what happens when the same people who are complaining about it... are such vigorous supporters of immigration from these less tolerant parts of the world.

I can't speak for HuffPo or other "liberal areas", but I don't care what ethnicity the driver was, nor do I assume he was a "white redneck". It doesn't matter, what matters is what he did.

Nov 30, 2006
I'm having trouble getting outraged over this....sorry. This is such an isolated incident. I detect hypersensitivity.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Juicy topic... :p

Before I read it, PDA?

because they were holding hands.

Oh ffs, that's the offense? Would people in India even care about holding hands? :hmm:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Juicy topic... :p

Before I read it, PDA?

Oh ffs, that's the offense? Would people in India even care about holding hands? :hmm:

"We are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it."

Hawkblocker-Simpsons-Kang-and-Kodos-as-Clinton-and-Dole.png

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What is your motivation in starting this thread? I just don't get it.

One could find a story significant enough to be worth posting without being "outraged." I'm going to assume that symbolism of being sent to "the back of the bus" probably has something to do with it.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

I think there is a LOT of doubt about your initial statement. They did not offer any sort of quotes or sentence construction that would allude to a redneck hick hollering at gays to get to the back of the bus.

As for your Albuquerque story. Well that's New Mexico, I wouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of Mexicans there, bus drivers generally just make up the lower class ethnicity group of the given area. In Chicago you will see a lot of Black bus drivers, in places with very high % of white people, you'll have white bus drivers. I don't know Portland's demographics, but just look at the lower class make-up and there's your bus driver.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I hope the driver was fired.

At the end the news anchor reports that the bus company's drivers must attend "sensitivity training", which I don't think should be required for anyone except this particular bus driver. His continued employment should be conditioned on completion of that training. No need to put all other drivers.. most or all of which wouldn't have done what this driver did.. through a PC dog-and-pony show.

Someone got their feelings hurt, so what?

Why is this even news?

There is no reason to fire the bus driver, much less send him to "sensitivity training".

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I have no problem with the OP making a thread about this.

Though I do think our culture getting to the point where an incident like this (which should at best rise to the level of eye-rolling story these gay gentlemen shared with friends and family as a "can you believe that?" type of anecdote) becomes a reason for major newspapers and news sites to take notice (and at least at something like Huffington Post, and whatever this link was at, it totally is...) says a lot of unfortunate things about where we're at. The kind of endemic whiner world we've become.

And I want to be clear, I think the driver's reaction is totally inappropriate and super dickish. I used to be a bus driver and though I was a liberal at that time, my reaction now would be the same as it was then... politeness toward any and all passengers.

and as for what I said about the driver's ethnicity? If you honestly don't think that Huffington and similar outlets LOVE a story like this much more when it's a white guy being intolerant, you're being naive... they don't like conflicts between one of their agendas (open borders, cultural diversity) and another of their agendas (LGBT issues)

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Someone got their feelings hurt, so what?

Why is this even news?

There is no reason to fire the bus driver, much less send him to "sensitivity training".

The driver did not act appropriately, according to the bus company itself. That is justification for taking disciplinary action, up to and including firing the driver.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The driver did not act appropriately, according to the bus company itself. That is justification for taking disciplinary action, up to and including firing the driver.

Agreed. He represents the company, and failing to represent them as they'd like to be represented requires discipline.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
and as for what I said about the driver's ethnicity? If you honestly don't think that Huffington and similar outlets LOVE a story like this much more when it's a white guy being intolerant, you're being naive... they don't like conflicts between one of their agendas (open borders, cultural diversity) and another of their agendas (LGBT issues)

I'm not disagreeing with you about HuffPo, et al., I'm just saying that that's not what I'm doing... and that what they do is their business, and nothing to do with MY thread here.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Society should not be forced to tolerate living an immoral lifestyle.

Maybe I should have 2, 3, 4 or more wives. And when the state complains, I will cry that my civil rights are being violated.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Society should not be forced to tolerate living an immoral lifestyle.

Maybe I should have 2, 3, 4 or more wives. And when the state complains, I will cry that my civil rights are being violated.

You don't get it, do you? THE BUS COMPANY ITSELF SAID THE DRIVER ACTED INAPPROPRIATELY, SO JUST ON THAT REASON ALONE THE DRIVER SHOULD FACE WHATEVER DISCIPLINE THE COMPANY WANTS TO IMPOSE

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
And that explains why it is newsworthy why?

It's newsworthy because I think it is. You don't have to agree, nor do you have to read or post in the thread.

Why would you post in a thread whose subject you don't think is newsworthy?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You don't get it, do you? THE BUS COMPANY ITSELF SAID THE DRIVER ACTED INAPPROPRIATELY, SO JUST ON THAT REASON ALONE THE DRIVER SHOULD FACE WHATEVER DISCIPLINE THE COMPANY WANTS TO IMPOSE

Since when does a company get to impose its morals and values upon its employees?

That is like a company firing an employee for going to church, or reading the news, or serving on a jury. Oh, you watch CNN, your fired.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Since when does a company get to impose its morals and values upon its employees?

That is like a company firing an employee for going to church, or reading the news, or serving on a jury. Oh, you watch CNN, your fired.

I'm guessing it is a standard politeness requirement... that almost all companies have, not something specifically for how they should treat gay people.

Nov 30, 2006
One could find a story significant enough to be worth posting without being "outraged." I'm going to assume that symbolism of being sent to "the back of the bus" probably has something to do with it.
The article's allusion to black civil rights abuse is pure BS. It's an insult to blacks to frame this incident in such a dishonest manner. It appears that there are a few others that could use a little sensitivity training if you ask me.