Couple questions for contact wearers

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I started wearing contacts a year ago, but have only been doing it part-time. Now I'm trying to get so I wear them full-time.

My contact prescription is a little weaker than my glasses prescription, which is ok. But it seems like I have trouble focusing tightly with contacts in. It's different from what I remember having too-weak glasses was like. It's like each eye is picking up the image ok but my brain isn't aligning them perfectly.

Also I get a lot of times where it seems like I either have floaties, or the contact is slightly pulling away from my eye or something. Certain parts of my vision will get blurry or a bit opaque for short amounts of time.

Finally my contacts almost feel cold on my eye, or maybe it is just dry. Either way it is noticeable and I have to blink a lot.

Are these problems normal and I just need to get used to it? My insurance doesn't cover another exam for a couple months so I can't just go in there and ask a doc quickly.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
if you have astigmatism, the lenses need to be oriented a certain way, and after wearing for a while they can be misaligned.

even if you dont have astigmatism, try using rewetting drops, or reapplying the contacts

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Hmm I believe I do have a slight astigmatism which my glasses correct, but I do not have contacts for it. Maybe that is the issue. And I will have to pick up some rewetting drops to see if that fixes the opaque problem.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
You need special contacts for astigmatism. They have to be much heavier than normal contacts to make sure they stay in.

Aug 25, 2004
It's possible that your previous prescription is either outdated or incorrect. Perhaps your contacts are old. When was the last time you got a prescription?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
You need special contacts for astigmatism. They have to be much heavier than normal contacts to make sure they stay in.

Yeah I guess mine isn't bad enough to need the special contacts. Probably worth the tradeoff...

Originally posted by: George P Burdell
It's possible that your previous prescription is either outdated or incorrect. Perhaps your contacts are old. When was the last time you got a prescription?

Nah, prescriptions should be fine. Glasses and contact are both from last Dec. Besides my glasses prescription hasn't changed in 4-5 years. When I had my contact exam I told the lady they seemed a bit less clear than glasses so she tried some other contacts but ended up writing the prescription for the ones I have now.

The floaties/opaqueness problem bothers me quite a bit more than the focusing. Hopefully I just have dry eyes and some drops will clear it up.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Are they the same pair you've had all year? Do you use a solution that dissolves the protein buildup? Are you sure the contacts aren't in inside out?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Are these problems normal and I just need to get used to it? My insurance doesn't cover another exam for a couple months so I can't just go in there and ask a doc quickly.

if you've been going to the same doc for a while they're probably not going to charge you if it's just something quick. and even if they do charge you, how much could it be? i don't think i've had insurance pay for an eye exam since i went off my parents' plan, and i doubt the exam part was ever more than $100.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
I used to have the same "blurry" experience as you with my old lenses. But a year ago, I switched to the new Acuvue lenses for Astigmatism and I couldn't believe the difference. They work by being weighted in such a way that they remain in the same position on your eye (i.e. they don't rotate when you blink). Check into it. Seriously.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Also note that contact perscriptions are weaker than glasses because the lens is directly on the eye as opposed to being an inch or two away.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
Are they the same pair you've had all year? Do you use a solution that dissolves the protein buildup? Are you sure the contacts aren't in inside out?

Nah they're 2-week lenses, though I've stretched it out a bit longer than that since I do not wear them all that much. Right now I am just using the regular OptiFree stuff, though I am considering switching to the stronger stuff to put in the case and just rinse with OptiFree. Definitely not inside out. :)

Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Sukhoi

if you've been going to the same doc for a while they're probably not going to charge you if it's just something quick. and even if they do charge you, how much could it be? i don't think i've had insurance pay for an eye exam since i went off my parents' plan, and i doubt the exam part was ever more than $100.

That's part of the problem...I've lived in 5 cities in the last year and a half. So I have no doc out here that I have been to already.

Originally posted by: KMc
I used to have the same "blurry" experience as you with my old lenses. But a year ago, I switched to the new Acuvue lenses for Astigmatism and I couldn't believe the difference. They work by being weighted in such a way that they remain in the same position on your eye (i.e. they don't rotate when you blink). Check into it. Seriously.

I think I will ask the optician about those when I go to get a new order. I am still working on the end of the order of Acuvue Oasys I got back in January.

Originally posted by: Fritzo
Also note that contact perscriptions are weaker than glasses because the lens is directly on the eye as opposed to being an inch or two away.

Right, though the end result should be the same.

If I do try to get astigmatism lenses am I going to have to go to the eye doc and get a whole new fitting done? Or can I just take my prescription to an optician and tell him what I want? If I have enough of an astigmatism that it needs corrected my regular glasses prescription should have it noted somewhere I would think.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Every time you change your contacts you need to be re-fitted. I have been using contacts for astigmatism for almost 17 years and as long as I can remember I've been using Focus brand. They don't feel "heavy" on your eye IMO. I know there are different brands and they all feel different. I like the Focus and have stuck with them. If you haven't been to the eye doc in a year you will need to have a whole new exam. Thats pretty standard.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
for slight astigmatism, regular contacts will be fine. it sounds like your problem is that your eyes are drying out and the contacts are shifting around whenever u move your eyes or blink. use rewetting drops or figure out a way to keep your contact lenses hydrated