Couple problems with latest Nvidia video drivers

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
I just installed a new GT 240 videocard on my system (sig) using the latest driver from the NVidia web site: 195.62 WHQL. Two things puzzle me:

--- I check "Show Notification Tray Icon" in the View menu of the Nvidia control panel, but the check refuses to stick. I check it, the View menu closes and the check is not there when I look again.

--- The video driver seems to have installed some kind of PhysX software on the computer: There is a Physx entry (124 MB) in the Add/Remove programs list and a PhysX Properties icon in the Start menu. However, when I try to launch PhysX Properties, I get an error message: "Windows can't find NvCplUI.exe... bla bla"

I have found the PhysX System Software on the NVidia web site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.1112.html

But I can't find how this software interacts with the PhysX components of the video drivers. Will installing it solve the above Windows error? With my previous video driver (one year ago), the whole PhysX package was seemingly installed with the video driver.

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Ok then, I'll reply in part to myself ;-)

After searching on the web, I found that the "non-sticking Notification Icon" and "Can't find NvCplUI.exe" are both bugs in the NVidia geForce drivers.

As for the relationship between Physx System Software and the GeForce video drivers, I have found one vague mention of the Physx System Software being included in the video driver. The only difference is that a given Physx System Software update would be included in the following GeForce driver update.

If true, this would mean that I would not have to bother about separately installing Physx System Software, unless there was an urgent need to fix a particular problem.

Can anyone confirm this last item?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The latest nvidia drivers always include the most recent version of physx that is available at the time the video driver is released.

In other words, if a new version of physx comes out tomorrow, it will not be included in the current video driver that is out; it would be included in the next video driver update.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Ok then, I'll reply in part to myself ;-)

lol i notice that around here, when you ask questions that are not along the line of "AMD versus NV", then you'll get no to low replies. Try posting a question about video editing or video playback, you'll get like 3-6 replies at best, with most of those replies being just short guesses. But post something remotely hinting an AMD versus NV thing, and you'll get pages long, with the usual posters chiming in! In conclusion, this place is not a good place to ask questions that don't try to invoke the superiority of either AMD or NV.

Had your topic been titled with something like "Nvidia drivers suck!"... then you'll get more replies... a lot will be from the NV fanboys defending the brand... and you may even be called "ignorant" because it's not the drivers that suck, it's the user!

Last edited:

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks tviceman, you have confirmed what I thought. No need to install PhysX Software.

And shangshang... :)