Couple of questions about STALKER

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LintMan
With all the Stalker mod discussion here, let me ask my question: do mods take effect in existing games, or do you have to start a new game?

I ask because I just started playing and know I'll likely want to try some mods later, but if I have to start from scratch to use them, I'll add the mods in now.

Some require you to restart while others do not. If you're not that far into the game [I'd say before the bar], then I'd suggest trying out the mods.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Iron Sights are not too bad, as long as you shoot in bursts. Once you get a scoped weapon you won't want to use Iron Sights again though. Even with a scope though, you need to shoot in bursts.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
Before I got the fast-firing AK, I just used the Viper SMG, going cover from cover while unloading rounds into people's heads at close range.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Come to think of it, accurracy was only a problem with the beginning pistols and the AK-SU. When I got the Viper/MP-5, shooting was pretty easy and effective (first time I dropped people without emptying 5 clips). Too bad I never had ammo... The iron sights are very well made and I used them all the way to the end.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Accuracy gets better, but you have to remember firing single shots is much more accurate than spraying, keep at it, great game :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I just started playing this. Somewhat amazed at the difficulty right off the bat. Must be hell on those not used to FPS games :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: lupi
I just started playing this. Somewhat amazed at the difficulty right off the bat. Must be hell on those not used to FPS games :)

surprisingly if you are RPGer you are totally used to it

and get the Merc suit behind Wolf in the attic .. makes it easier by a factor of 2.

Gothic2 is ten times harder .... for about the first 10-15 hours ... then it gets easier and easier as you progress until you are god.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I just started playing this game yesterday and I am ready to uninstall it. I have waited for this game for five years and such disappointment. Why in the world can't I loot just the ammo off the guns I pick up instead of picking up multiple guns?? Am I doing something wrong?

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: AnyMal
I just started playing this game yesterday and I am ready to uninstall it. I have waited for this game for five years and such disappointment. Why in the world can't I loot just the ammo off the guns I pick up instead of picking up multiple guns?? Am I doing something wrong?

The Ammo for the guns is individually found on enemys corpses, usually everyone you kill has ammo on their person so maintaining enough bullets shouldnt be a problem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

The Ammo for the guns is individually found on enemys corpses, usually everyone you kill has ammo on their person so maintaining enough bullets shouldnt be a problem.

Ya, I didn't even realize you could loot from Guns until days into the game. Just never needed to. I've done it a few times after finding that out, but only when I'm really desperate.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

Ya, I didn't even realize you could loot from Guns until days into the game. Just never needed to. I've done it a few times after finding that out, but only when I'm really desperate.

Are you saying I can remove ammo from the guns I loot? How do I do it?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

While in your inventory, if the game has ammo in it, right click it and you'll get the option to unload. If it's already unloaded, you won't get the option.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

While in your inventory, if the game has ammo in it, right click it and you'll get the option to unload. If it's already unloaded, you won't get the option.

Ah, cool thing to know (and now that I think about it probably why some guys I picked up stacked and others didn't). Not really needed at the beginning when ya have your peashooter but probably important later on. I had just been picking them up to sell for a couple of bucks.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

I find that playing on the hardest level, you don't get much ammo off of bodies if any at all. I didn't bother unloading till then, but now I need to sometimes.

I can't say I agree with the blanket statement "all mods are cheating". I'm going to download the repair mod and give that a try. If you have the cash, I don't see what's wrong with being able to have your weapon repaired. I certainly wouldn't call that "unrealistic", in fact it's really more realistic.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

So, if I unload ammo from one gun it will add it to another identical gun? Cool, I no longer have to juggle 3+ shotguns plus 7+ pistols, LOL! Thanks!

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
This game would be godly with HL2 engine due to scalability and the engine being more performance friendly. The atmosphere could have been greatly enhanced. Great game though.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Engraver
Download some mods for it.

Faiakes (spelling?) compilation mod should fix all the beefs you have with it, except for the fence thing.

I am confused. I downloaded the file and extracted the folders. What do I do now.
It looks like I am supposed to replace the game data folder but there isn't one in the game.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Another question.
How do you get into the attic to get the vest?
I climbed the ladder behind Wolf, jumped to the next roof, found the opening on the far end but can't get in.
I am crouched all the way down.
I know the vest is there, I shot the box from the other end and I can see it but I can't get to it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
^^^ Grab it with your use key^^^

yeah, you don't actually go inside the attic, you should be able to grab it through the hole.