Couple night sky shots

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just thought I'd share my first sky pics taken with my new 1600mm Rokinon lens. (one from this thread)

I will probably want a more stable way to mount it for future shots though. It's impossible to keep it locked in if there's even a tiny bit of wind as it shakes.

The moon:

Mars:

Saturn:

It's pretty cool to think of just how far that is and you can still somewhat make out the rings. I was not actually zoomed in all the way for that since it was shaking too much. So once I figure out a more stable mounting system I'll be able to get a clearer shot.

And with my main lens, northern lights:

It's nice that most of the snow is gone and it's warming up so I can go out in the field now whenever there's no clouds and I can be out for more than a few minutes before freezing my fingers.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
The photos of Mars and Saturn are really cool - I look forward to seeing the next set when you get stabilized.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
That's pretty cool, I bet you'll be able to do even better. Did you not use a tripod or was the tripod itself kind of shaky?

For frame of reference, this is at 500mm:

_DSC9199-M.jpg

I would imagine that, once you get things set up correctly, you should be getting some great shots.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The tripod itself is fairly solid, but think there's just too much play given it's essentially just holding the lens with one little screw. I'll have to figure something out where the camera can be held at two points, maybe. Though if I can get a super calm day with no clouds I could probably get it more steady.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Are you using a timed shutter (2 second) or a remote control for the shutter?

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
Nice shots. I would be hard pressed to even see the moon that clear as many clouds as there are in PA.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Are you using a timed shutter (2 second) or a remote control for the shutter?

Remote, that way I can give it more time to stabilize. I had it set so I press button to open shutter and press again to close. Some of the northern lights ones were actually like a minute exposure with small aperture, so I can capture more of it.