Couple Builds 125 Square-Foot House

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
This is what happens when people who think things like ' lets save the planet' lack common sense.

I determined from experience that the smallest you want to go for a reasonable living space is 20ft x 20ft. That is big enough for all the essentials without feeling like you are inside a matchbox. They spent $20K on that ? Mine cost less than $10K and has proper plumbing , heating and air.

The reason they spend so much is they are people with money building small houses because it is trendy, vs poor people building small affordable houses. You can tell by the fancy trim, etc.

And to the person that said having miles between people and caring about how big someone's house is?

Small houses if built right take almost no power, or energy to heat/cool.

But if you want a permanent home on a piece of land, and can get away with doing it yourself without the planing and zoning breathing down your neck, nothing beats a 40' shipping container.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I don't like people who flick their heads to get their bangs out of their face. I don't like them at all.

"It’s just a five-gallon bucket that you put peat moss and sawdust in,” Smith said. “You'd be surprised how well it works and how much it doesn't smell.”

Deal-breaker.

This. The whole thing is a deal-breaker, but this part is especially a deal-breaker.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't like people who flick their heads to get their bangs out of their face. I don't like them at all.

This. The whole thing is a deal-breaker, but this part is especially a deal-breaker.
Crapping in a 5 gallon bucket of sawdust in a 125 square foot home isn't a problem if you're the kind of person who gets off smelling your own farts, which these people clearly are.

/gratuitous South Park reference

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
When I read the title and OP I thought it was a clever attempt to give local property tax assessors the middle finger. "Go ahead, assess my taxes on the number of square feet!"

As for the house itself, meh... the only word that comes to mind that's reasonably complimentary is: quaint.