Couple Builds 125 Square-Foot House

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30765076/detail.html

I knew it was gonna be Boulder before even clicking on the story. Nothing but nuts living there anymore. It's pretty cool and would be neat to build one too but I'm not sure I am living in that full time. The price sounds right and going greener can be a good thing. More power to them for taking on this endeavor. But you gotta love the quote from the guy when asked about living in it full time.

The more that I've been working on it with Merete, and the more we visit other people's tiny houses, it's starting to feel more and more like a home, and I can definitely picture myself living in it full-time.

Hipsters wouldn't want to do anything not popular. Trendy asshole.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Design stars featured these in a show last year on HGTV.
http://tinyhouseblog.com/announcement/tiny-house-challenge-hgtv-design-star/

It's a very interesting concept, but not for everyone. The biggest obstacle to building these and getting people to live in them would be to get them past the building codes and other regulations each community has. If they have a door you can lock from the outside they'd be good as a mother-in-law house.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't call him a "nut" or "asshole," like the OP.

Feb 6, 2007
"It’s just a five-gallon bucket that you put peat moss and sawdust in,” Smith said. “You'd be surprised how well it works and how much it doesn't smell.”

Deal-breaker.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
"It’s just a five-gallon bucket that you put peat moss and sawdust in,” Smith said. “You'd be surprised how well it works and how much it doesn't smell.”

Deal-breaker.

Me too. For some reason, this is all I could think of when I saw that.

jarhead+toilet.jpg

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
If they were really worried about their physical footprint why build above ground at all? When I build a house I'm basically basically going to dig a huge hole and pour a huge reinforced concrete dome and build the living space inside of that (with steel and flame resistant materials of course :p). I won't have to actively heat or cool it because the surrounding earth will regulate its temperature, and I can use the extra space above it to grow crops or graze animals.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I was thinking of putting in a little hunting cabin on the back of my property to sit in during hunting season. My planned hunting cabin is bigger than that, and I figure I can build it in a weekend.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The video shows wheels on each side, :hmm: hmm.... don't we already have mobile homes that size that probably cost less than building your own?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
they guy that turned his apartment into multiple rooms was more impressive. These houses are just ridiculous.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
If they were really worried about their physical footprint why build above ground at all? When I build a house I'm basically basically going to dig a huge hole and pour a huge reinforced concrete dome and build the living space inside of that (with steel and flame resistant materials of course :p). I won't have to actively heat or cool it because the surrounding earth will regulate its temperature, and I can use the extra space above it to grow crops or graze animals.

I like how you think. Been thinking of that for quite a while. However the thing that gets in the way of most plans like this is cost. If you have to hire people to build your house like that, it costs a ton more that if you did yourself on the cheap and by scavenging. Not to mention all the taxes, and building permits etc.

Now if you manage to bypass all that, which I think is the best way to build alternatively, you can get by a lot cheaper.

Hell this guy and girl spend 20k on a tiny house. My sister's friend built a vardo covered wagon (vardo may be wrong word), same thing, small house on a trailer, and did it for less than 10k, and it looked just as good, if not better than this one.

Hell for 2k, you can buy a 40 ft shipping container and for 10k more you can insulate it, and put in a bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, and full appliances. Granted you can't pull it behind your pickup, but it is recycling and cheap.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Should really be called couple builds crappy camping trailer, that's all this is.

Oct 30, 2004
Based on current economic trends, a house of that size might be all that most people will be able to afford soon.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Wow what assholes
lol
no

I've built a lot of houses in my time, I love the whole tiny house thing'
Even to the point of trying a few designs myself
I would not want one that small for myself, but would defiantly consider something apartment size

...then the tornado comes
You could make your tiny house a lot more tornado proof then most normal sized houses

Most British homes would probably be considered tiny houses by our standards

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
nice. if it was just me i could see doing something like that. I just don't need that much room.

a small bedroom or such. all i need is a place to sleeep and for my clothes. a bathroom (no i will not piss in a bucket) a place to watch tv/play on computer. oh a small kitchen too.

nothing major i seen a nice floor plan that was like 200 sq/ft that would fit my needs.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I think most people in the US have houses that are far too large.

But that is too small. No need to go to the other extreme. It's far too impractical.

Fern

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
This is what happens when people who think things like ' lets save the planet' lack common sense.

I determined from experience that the smallest you want to go for a reasonable living space is 20ft x 20ft. That is big enough for all the essentials without feeling like you are inside a matchbox. They spent $20K on that ? Mine cost less than $10K and has proper plumbing , heating and air.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
More building materials for the rest of us. I'm glad they're happy with it, but think they're completely delusional if they think building a "house" the size of the average tool shed (or tin roofed shanty in the slums of Africa or Brazilian favela) is something others should envy them for doing or emulate.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
...they're completely delusional if they think building a "house" the size of the average tool shed (or tin roofed shanty in the slums of Africa or Brazilian favela) is something others should envy them for doing or emulate.

especially for those not living in an urban area. sometimes i wonder if some of these people have never been to a really rural area. a place where there are no houses or buildings for miles upon miles. there are some really wide open spaces in the USA and they act like they want a person living 10 miles from the nearest neighbor, who owns their own 10-20 acres of land to worry about the size of the house they build? :confused:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This is what happens when people who think things like ' lets save the planet' lack common sense.

I determined from experience that the smallest you want to go for a reasonable living space is 20ft x 20ft. That is big enough for all the essentials without feeling like you are inside a matchbox. They spent $20K on that ? Mine cost less than $10K and has proper plumbing , heating and air.

I was thinking about that. they could have purchased a pre-cut kit for far far cheaper.

then they don't have real plumbing. WTF no.

i can see if i didn't have kids living in something a lot smaller then my 2k /ft house. all i need is a room to sleep. i could have my computer and TV in it. Then a kitchen and bathroom and i would be fine.