Coup Possibly Happening in Venezuela

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
P26NJmU.jpg

EQiDoBpWoAIFS4f

Guaido returned to Venezuela with a heroes welcome from his supporters but also pro-Maduro people at the airport were there too and they were pretty mad that Guaido supports sanctions on the Venezuela state airline thats been fucking with their jobs

Reactions: Blackjack200

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The "authoritarian" Venezuelan government continues to allow a guy that literally tried to overthrow them in a US backed coup to travel freely around the country. LMAO. Freedom loving America has Julian Assange, Chelsea Manning, and Reality Winner in prison, and Ed Snowden hiding in Russia all for exposing crimes.

Reactions: KMFJD
Jul 9, 2009
The "authoritarian" Venezuelan government continues to allow a guy that literally tried to overthrow them in a US backed coup to travel freely around the country. LMAO. Freedom loving America has Julian Assange, Chelsea Manning, and Reality Winner in prison, and Ed Snowden hiding in Russia all for exposing crimes.
Imagine that! Whistleblowers that were imprisoned by ............. Obama. Kinda blows your mind doesn't it?

• Wow
Reactions: KMFJD

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Don’t be crazy. There is no doubt the current government is an authoritarian shit show.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Imagine that! Whistleblowers that were imprisoned by ............. Obama. Kinda blows your mind doesn't it?
People who followed the statutes were most certainly not.

This is in contrast to the current criminal administration where lack of fealty to the leader over the law is the only crime.

Reactions: Vic and JD50

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That's why they arrested Guaido, right?

Great they left one obvious guy alone. I'm talking about the entire history of this government. Did they or did they not seize private property without compensation? Did they or did they not suppress and make it more difficult for media outlets unfavorable to the government to operate?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Great they left one obvious guy alone. I'm talking about the entire history of this government. Did they or did they not seize private property without compensation? Did they or did they not suppress and make it more difficult for media outlets unfavorable to the government to operate?

Oh look, more examples of things the United States also does, and probably worse.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

So you are on the side of ... the other side

Ok then.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's why they arrested Guaido, right?

When you're dependent on the outside world for everything, you tend to watch your manners. Or at least not start diplomatic fires you can't put out. What's more important to Maduro and his regime? Maintaining the trend where they stay in power, or incarcerating/assassinating a figure for carrying out what is afforded to him in their Constitution, riling his supporters all over again?

Reactions: cytg111

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yes I have consistent standards. Shit I don’t like Trump and his cronies doing I also don’t like Maduro and his cronies doing. The Italian PM years ago that basically locked the opposition out of tv coverage was wrong. The laws that Russia has passed to suppress speech critical of the government is wrong. Chinese censorship of their internet is wrong.

This stuff isn’t hard.

Reactions: cytg111

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes I have consistent standards. Shit I don’t like Trump and his cronies doing I also don’t like Maduro and his cronies doing. The Italian PM years ago that basically locked the opposition out of tv coverage was wrong. The laws that Russia has passed to suppress speech critical of the government is wrong. Chinese censorship of their internet is wrong.

This stuff isn’t hard.

What have you said about Assange, Snowden, Manning, Winner, or Risen?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
maduro can be authoritarian and not arrest guaido. those things aren't mutually exclusive.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Well, Julian Assange, and Eric Snowden, technically, aren't whistleblowers. IIRC, Chelsea Manning's stuff was limited to the information that she was familiar with (meaning--not a blind, un-vetted dump of everything, like with Assange and Snowden.)

There's a significant difference in how people handle this information--and it usually requires them attempting to go through the proper channels (superiors), and then acting after being rebuffed.

I mean...Assange. That fuck is no hero. It's no secret that he's nothing more than one of the propaganda arms for Putin, and that he's only in it for Assange. The co-founders of wikileaks have long been estranged from that shithole, because he never had a mission to "Expose government lies and increase transparency." Assange only ever cared about Assange, and you only need to listen to the people that know him best....oh and also cursory observation of Assange and his actions.

Snowden, I think is important and we're all better off after his dump, but the real issue with him is that he also never did anything for any kind of ideology beyond "being famous"--this is actually how he explains it in his own words. He didn't take the contract at the NSA because he believed int he work, but because he had a personal mission to find anything that he thought was bad, and to expose it. That instantly invalidates him as a whistleblower, and from seeking any kind of whistleblower protections. He didn't seek any kind of appropriate channels to raise his concerns. That was never his goal. He never personally vetted anything. He just copied and dumped everything he could find. His case is more complicated than his acolytes would like to accept.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I mean...Assange. That fuck is no hero.
I mean, I guess it depends what side you are on, if you are on team Trump and team Russia and team GRU, like Roger Stone, then I guess Assange could be a hero.
To be clear Assange is human crap.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What have you said about Assange, Snowden, Manning, Winner, or Risen?
Assange - original concept was very important. However he allowed himself to become a tool to be used to attack the US and his credibility is shot as far as I'm concerned.
Snowden - Exposed something that needed to be exposed. Would probably be more sympathetic if he hadn't run to Russia.
Manning - Tough one, ultimately I don't they should have served time but should have been removed from the military. Overall a positive from what was released even if it was embarrassing to the US.
who and who?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Assange - original concept was very important. However he allowed himself to become a tool to be used to attack the US and his credibility is shot as far as I'm concerned.
Snowden - Exposed something that needed to be exposed. Would probably be more sympathetic if he hadn't run to Russia.
Manning - Tough one, ultimately I don't they should have served time but should have been removed from the military. Overall a positive from what was released even if it was embarrassing to the US.
who and who?

I typed out a response to this post that would have earned me a solid week in the sin bin. I need some one to tell me I'm a good boy.