counter strike problems with opengl and win2k

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
first off, here's my system.. p3-450, 512mb ram, voodoo 3 3000, win2k

i just did a fresh install of win2k on this system.. installed half life and counter strike, but when i changed the mode to opengl, it didn't work.. gave me a "grsstselect: non-existent sst" error in windows.. then popped back into cs, and said that my video card doesn't support opengl.. i installed the newest drivers from 3dfx... these are the original drivers.. 1.03.00... the original ones didn't even work.. gave me some funny error:

error, subsystemvendorid:
pci/ven_blahblahblah

is not listed in c:\temp|driver2k\voodoo3.inf

please update the c:\temp\driver2k\voodoo3.inf file so install can procede

ok, so i get the voodoo3.inf file from my friend (he has the exact same card, running win 2k, and the same driver file) but the voodoo3.inf file is completely different.. his file is like 3k, while mine was like 24k... anyway.. so i still overwrite it.. and now i can install without that error... i reboot and still no go... i've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a few times.. i've un/reinstalled hl and cs updates twice too...

if anyone has any sort of suggestion i may have missed, please let me know.. thanks a lot

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
of course i have directx installed.. dumb question.. but at least it was something.. thanks for the help anyway spanky

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
well... i'll take another stab at it... hehe :p can u run in software mode? or will it throw errors at u then also?

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
nope.. i only get errors when i run opengl mode.. i tested out before, and did again, both software and d3d... c'mon spanky.. you can think of more

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
please send me ur cd key for further diagnosis. j/k. seems something finky is up with ur opengl drivers. have u drive downloading some 3rd party opengl drivers? i used the wickedgl drivers, and they kick ass.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
well i'm not sure which drivers to download.. and i actually think it's a problem with the driver installation.. cause i've downloaded 2 different drivers and both gave me errors.. i don't know how else to deal with it.. the two drivers i have are: v3-w2k-1.03.00.zip and vs-w2k-1.09-beta2.zip both gotten off of voodoofiles.com... what's wickedgl? where can iget that?

monkied

Jul 19, 2001
I have a similiar system with a athlon 500 mhz slot A with 128 mb but am running win98se. Maybe you can try that. I'll repost when I find out which voodoo3 driver I'm using. Another thing, I use the full retail cs with 1.5 update. I don't know if you're upgrading half-life to counter-strike, but if you are, try just getting the full retail version and get the 1.5 full retail update.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
yah.. i only do full installs.. i dont' use the updates.. i had win98se before.. and i installed the drivers, and it worked with that.. but i always got a blue screen if i were to shut down.. so i know there were even problems then... umm... yah.. please let me know which drivers you're using.. thanks

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
OK here goes. I currently have a GF4 and playing counter-strike well... Anyways

Before i got ^^^ I have a Voodoo 3 2000. I had run Win2k on it no problems. U should try to install 3rd Party 3dfx drivers from sites like VoodooFiles since they get all the latest ones. After, download WickedGL from the same site and install. When in CS Video setting screen, in the dropdown menu to your left, select WickedGL driver. My FPS went from 30 to 65 ish' after using this driver. Also, I have a better wickedgl driver @ http://rumxz.mine.nu/3dfxgl.rar This one I made for the Voodoo 5, but it works just fine for the voodoo 3, and will give you an even more FPS increase than the ones at the voodoofiles website.