Counter Strike player gets thousands of cheaters banned - TECHSPOT

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
That's awesome. I could just see all the cheater rage faces boil up when they found out they got played.

Nov 20, 2009
I love this. Maybe Valve should get in on the action. Maybe even offer incentives for doing so.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
How does that work? Do they lose access to all their games or are the banned for CS multiplayer? I hate cheaters, but that would suck to lose all your games!

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
How does that work? Do they lose access to all their games or are the banned for CS multiplayer? I hate cheaters, but that would suck to lose all your games!

They lose access to games they cheat in, other games can still be accessed. I'm pretty sure the ban is tied to steam id and not the game because back when I still played CS and CS:S, I used to see a lot of new accounts after sales, basically throw away accounts to check exploits on VAC without risking the "primary" steam account or just kids blatantly trolling through servers knowing ban is coming.

If they did it from their main steam accounts on which they cared about their badges, that's just poetic justice if you ask me. It begs the question, how many of CS sales are actually rebuys? I think there are temp bans but if they last longer than a week,some won't wait for it to expire and buy again under new steam account(s).

Sometimes I get the itch to play but hasn't happened in a while, I don't even
have CS installed now, haven't tried GO yet. One of the reasons I pretty much stopped playing CS and other shooters is cheaters became sophisticated, not always transparent, basically playing normal until they are in a pinch, killing the guy then going low profile again, rinse and repeat.

Slightly OT but I salute the guy for doing this, wish it would happen in other games too.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That is awesome. What do people get from cheating in a freakin' video game anyway? I suck at multiplayer games; if I cheated, I'd still know I sucked even if no one else did.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
That is awesome. What do people get from cheating in a freakin' video game anyway? I suck at multiplayer games; if I cheated, I'd still know I sucked even if no one else did.

Thing is cheaters usually still suck. If they turn up their hacks enough to really compensate its immediately obvious what they are doing. If they try to slide by with 'maybe a good player could do that' level of hacking they still suck because they don't have the strategy, map knowledge, positioning, etc down.

I just wish they would ban accounts by hardware ID or something so they just can't rebuy. Or better yet, just flag them and funnel all the hackers and griefers into their own server so they can have some sort of cheater Olympics.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I just wish they would ban accounts by hardware ID or something so they just can't rebuy. Or better yet, just flag them and funnel all the hackers and griefers into their own server so they can have some sort of cheater Olympics.

This. Don't ban the IDs, just flag them and automatically route to a 'cheater's server' so they can all cheat against each other and leave legitimate players in peace.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Thing is cheaters usually still suck. If they turn up their hacks enough to really compensate its immediately obvious what they are doing. If they try to slide by with 'maybe a good player could do that' level of hacking they still suck because they don't have the strategy, map knowledge, positioning, etc down.

That last is bloody brilliant. Stick in some godbots for good measure.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

When I was hardcore Counter Striker beta up to 1.5, this was the easiest way to identify cheaters. Those who obviously had no clue about the map, wandering around aimlessly but instantly 180 to headshot some guy across the map. "No, I'm not cheating, I just had a lot of practice from Quake." Yeah buddy...