Counter Strike (non-Source) still most played Steam Game. WTF?!

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
gah... and i thought it was crazy that my friend keeps trying to get me to play cs:s. this is unbelievable

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I can sort of understand it. People have spent years playing it, if they went to another game they wouldn't be the expert anymore. I mean anybody who spends over 7 years on one game can't have much else going on in life, so feeling like a big shot on DE_Dust is probably all they have.

I was never into CS even when it was just CS: the mod, but around the same time I did spend 5-10 hours a day playing TFC. I probably still would play it on occasion if it were like it used to be with the same amount of players and awesome servers. I'm sure they feel the same with CS and are just trying to keep the feeling alive.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
its a sport kinda like basketball (obviously not in the physical sense)

you dont criticize people who continue to play that do you?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
One game is as good as another. If people didn't abandon Quake 2 or BF2, I'd probably still be playing one of those.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Doesn't surprise me at all that CS still the highest steam usage. I have about 100 friends from playing CS:S and after 5 years I'm slowly starting to pull away from that game. I still play on occasion just to chat it up. Anyone can create there own server with rules and game types set to their liking. Also, there are so many custom maps being created all the time it never really gets old. I have logged close to 700 hours in this game since steam started keeping stats for that. In comparison, I've played Black Ops a total of 70 hours and its become very mundane to me.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I started playing cs:s during steam sale, pretty good one, lots of fun in the gun gmes, I'm still newbie but I can see the attraction. To be honest, may new games may have better graphics, but the game play not necessarily better than CS. I also like tf2 which is many years by now. The quality of the game is what make people play it not age.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I played CS when it was a mod for HL on a LAN when I was in my early teens against adults.

It was fun for a bit but nothing special. My PC sucked but I was above average in the selection of players there. Happy times making the better players cry out in agony when they realised that I one-shot them with the AWP or I won a 3-on-1 fight as the last player on my team.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I still play it too... but I sure miss the bunny hopping days... I don't like servers that allow weapons buy time either... I can run and buy weapons at the same time or bunny hope to a ceartin spot first and take out 5 people before I get fragged... :sneaky:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i still play it, no matter what games come out, i always end up back in cs1.6 or cz for some reason, i have tons of friends and clanmates that still play nightly

it's kinda like the wii, sure the graphics suck, but gameplay>graphics to me

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
My brother still plays it and always go backs to it. I sometimes will pick back up source and play it(I consider source to be old). Its just one of those games that always have some player base to play with even if you do not constantly play it. So you could say its a .... good game?

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
If we have to stay in the 90's can we please at least play Unreal Tournament?? I miss my flak cannon.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
My 14 year old got into it about 8 months ago. It's about all he plays now, besides some BlOps or MoH.

2dt Drifter

May 23, 2007
Played that game since 2000, my brother and I managed a clan that has since turned into a community of friends that are still active in the videogame world.
CS was and always will be very easy to fall back on because you have no ranks, no medals to earn. (Achievements have changed this though I don't think any of the hardcore players give a damn about achievements, I know I don't)
I have many many hours in the game but I start off with a glock/usp just like everyone else. That and the game is easy to hop in and hop out of, the game is old enough that it runs on many out of the box rig people get.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Counter-Strike: Source
86.6 hrs / 1228.3 hrs

I love CS:S even if I'm bored with regular CS theres: GunGame, minigames, Surf, Bunnyhopping, Zombiemod, ScoutsKnivez. Theres just so much to do. The game will never get old and will never die at least I hope so. For comparison my next highest Steam game is MW2 at 22 hours.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I started playing CS when I got the Beta 5 install on a PC Gamer demo disc. From senior year in HS through most of college, it was my go to game. Stopped playing for awhile and then picked it up again for another year or so. TF2 finally supplanted it as my go to FPS. Haven't played it since TF2 came out.

One game mode that never came over to CS:S that I wanted was the Warcraft mod. I did enjoy me a lot of Gungame too.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
That is surprising. It is a better game than Source though, all source games have those laggy hitboxes and a 1000 other internet speed tweaks people can use that makes everything uneven and laggy. Like this old video shows

In the orig CS, you actually hit where you aim.

Still I play source since I know people that play it, plus the graphics are a good deal nicer :)

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
For me, its a comfort level. I don't know why, but I get bored of the newer games so fast these days. However, I can literally sit down and play CS1.6, CS:S, or TF2 for hours at a time. I don't so much now cause my job and gf are effing up my gaming world. But when I do sit down, I play one of those.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
No. Why should people have to "move on" when Counter-Strike is still one of the best online games there is? Does this really concern you?

If everyone had that attitude, we'd still be playing Pong. Would you like that?

Of course part of the fault also lies with Valve. CS is over six years old, they should have made a new version of CS by now.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If everyone had that attitude, we'd still be playing Pong. Would you like that?
I'm not saying we shouldn't make new games. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with people playing old games that are still heralded as being excellent, even compared to many games today.

Of course part of the fault also lies with Valve. CS is over six years old, they should have made a new version of CS by now.
Made a new version of CS... adding what? Another graphical upgrade? Valve doesn't need to mess with the tested-and-proven CS formula, which is precisely why they aren't. (To be fair though, they did update CS:S just last year with newer source engine, death cam, and achievements.) Rather, Valve is trying new things: Team Fortress 2 and the Left 4 Dead games being the gist of them... both of which are very good.

I'm not a vehement Counter-Strike fanboy. But I'm defending it where it needs to be defended. :)